A Celtic Christmas kick-off

Geoffrey Castle, electric six-string violinist, during a performance on July 19, 2014. Castle will perform on campus at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

There are stomping feet, an elfish queen, and the Jimi Hendrix of electric violinists coming to Daggy Hall. This isn’t a typical holiday show, folks.

Geoffrey Castle will make his way to WSU for his seventh-annual Celtic Christmas Celebration tour. The show will feature a full band, a vocalist, the Seattle Irish Dance Company, and Castle on his electric six-string violin.

“You have never heard or seen a show like this,” Castle said. “I guarantee it’ll put you in the Christmas spirit.”

Castle’s performance will finish up the fall series for WSU Performing Arts before they kick off their spring series in February. Gail Siegel, director of performing arts, said performances around the holiday season are meant to be broadly appealing and give people a jump start into the holidays.

“I wanted people to attend and come away with great energy for the upcoming holidays,” Siegel said. “What I’m looking for is something that is joyous.”

The Saturday show will not be Castle’s first performance at WSU. He played a spring show during the WSU Performing Arts’ very first season, Siegel said. The show had Celtic music with a rock edge and he said it was extremely well-received.

Siegel said his holiday show is one of the best out there, and for the first time it’s being brought to Pullman.

“(He’s an) active promoter for music,” Siegel said. “Reaching to the other end of the age spectrum and fully engaging with people ages five to no end.”

Castle said his violin has the addition of a viola’s C and F strings, making it a combination of a violin, viola and cello.

Although some people might think the electric violin has a scratchy sound, Castle said it’s all about the tonal quality. The wider range given by the strings makes the sound ability more flexible than a regular violin, and Castle often uses effects made for guitar players.

The Celtic Holiday Concert will feature some recognizable songs, such as “Good King Wenceslas,” along with traditional Irish songs sung in Gaelic. However, the songs are not done in the way one would expect, Castle said. The ensemble features a vocalist, step dancing routines, drums, bass, and keys along with the electric violin.

“It’s all about the magic and mystery of Christmas,” Castle said.

Beth Quist, the vocalist for the performance, described the show as a really fun mix of full-blown Christmas music with unexpected music. She has worked with Castle since 2000.

“If I wasn’t having a blast, I wouldn’t still be doing it,” Quist said.

Castle said the response for the show has been very positive. Audiences in the past really responded to the music, which Castle describes as the antidote to a corny Christmas.

“The first time I saw Castle perform, I was at a booking conference and he was an ensemble player,” Siegel said. “I was thinking ‘Who was that fiddler? He’s awesome.’ I made it my business to find out who he was.”

Siegel said she’s looking forward to the energy he and the orchestra will bring to the stage. The performance series is a way for Performing Arts to provide a wide range of experiences and take the audience to places they haven’t been to, she said.

“(We’re) always looking for things that will expand people’s horizons,” Siegel said. “We want to provide them with (an) exceptional sensory experience.”

Castle said he’s fascinated by the ancient Celtic, British Isles, and Northern European Christmas music, using his holiday concert to bring the tunes around in a Celtic sense. Many of the current Christmas traditions go back to the traditions of the Celtics, such as mistletoe from the Druids.

The focus on Celtic music comes from the remarkable connection Castle found between the traditional songs and the Celtic experience and sound. He believes one can really feel the magic of the holidays expressed through these sounds.

“When you walk out of the show, if you weren’t feeling in the Christmas spirit when you got there you will when you leave,” Castle said.

Castle’s Celtic Holiday performance will be take place at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Jones Theatre. Tickets are $16 for adults, $13 for seniors, $8 for non-WSU students and youths, and free for WSU students.