Fight through finals with fitness

Students enter the Recreation Center on Sept. 3, 2013.

For those feeling stressed, exercise can help.  Buried in exams, deadlines and essays, students may ditch healthy habits when under the stress of finals week.

UREC will offer free fitness classes throughout finals week as part of its “Sweat the Stress” event to help students combat the stress of exams and give them the opportunity to try out new fitness classes.

It’s the last week of the semester. A time most students can be found in the library, scribbling on study guides, and chugging cups of coffee. But what most students don’t know is how detrimental the stress of finals week can be on the body.

The combination of chronic stress and lack of exercise can affect how students perform in the classroom. Associate professor of kinesiology Sarah Ullrich-French said research shows frequent exercise will improve performance in school.

“Exercise increases academic performance overall, likely through increased working memory, self-control, planning and problem solving,” Ullrich-French said. “The effects are even stronger for those that sustain exercise regularly over time.”

By offering free classes, UREC will provide students with a free outlet for their stress during their busy schedule.

Dr. Dennis J. Garcia, associate medical director of Health and Wellness Services, said too much stress could weaken our bodies.

“Exercise helps a lot with stress during dead and finals week,” Garcia said. “Exercise has a significant effect by decreasing stress levels, boosting our immune system, and relaxing our bodies, so that we can sleep better at night.”

In the short run, exercise can make you feel better immediately, Ullrich-French said. But she said there are a variety of ways to cope with stress such as socializing, meditation, or just deep breathing.

“I am a bit biased but believe that exercise or any moderate physical activity or movement is a particularly productive way to deal with stress,” Ullrich-French said.

It is important to note that not all stress is damaging to the body. Low levels of stress, like before an exam, may prompt students to study, Ullrich-French said. When stress becomes chronic and unmanageable is when it becomes unhealthy.

Garcia said he recommends 30 to 40 minutes of cardiovascular activity five to six days a week to help calm nerves before exams and get rid of extra caffeine that students tend to consume during this time in the semester.

“Things that help you stay healthy during stressful times are regular exercise, eating healthy by avoiding greasy spicy foods and fast food, and avoiding alcohol as much as possible,” Garcia said. “I also highly recommend trying to stay caught up you don’t have to cram so much during dead week and finals week.”

Sophomore architecture major Brieanna Cunningham said she is excited to finally get the chance to try UREC’s kickboxing class.

“I’m going to take classes on the days I don’t have finals where I would otherwise be cooped up studying all day,” Cunningham said.

UREC is offering a variety of fitness classes to choose from. Some include Zumba, kickboxing, CrossFit, and Pink Gloves Boxing. All classes are free for students. For a complete list and schedule visit UREC’s website.