Fans staying until the bitter end are necessary for team success

Down just two scores last Saturday, the Washington State Cougar football team came into the second half just a play or two away from getting back into game.

The Cougars and Huskies were playing a pretty even game. A few unlucky breaks for the Cougars had the Huskies leading on the scoreboard, but there was no reason to think that the Cougs couldn’t come right back into the game.

The team was playing hard. They were fired up, energized, and feeding off a good crowd. Despite not having any points, the offense was moving the ball well; just failing to finish drives past midfield. A 14-0 deficit hardly seemed out of hand considering come back wins this year against Oregon State and Utah. Even two years ago the Cougars procured the biggest comeback in Apple Cup history.

But then a funny thing happened. No one showed up for the second half, alumni and students alike. It is understandable that the weather was cold, but it’s the Apple Cup, and one of the biggest rivalries in the Pac 12. The student section has been criticized in recent years for leaving the game at halftime and not coming back, but those games were mostly blowouts without much reason to believe the team could come back.

The crowd went dead in the second half, and the team along with it — which led to a long UW touchdown run at the start of the third quarter. Just like that the game was over. I have a very strong hunch that there is a correlation between the team’s level of play and the amount of fans in the stands. Just look at the Oregon game.

The toughest game on the schedule was arguably the one the Cougars played best in, and it was without question the most well attended game at Martin Stadium this year.

Head Coach Mike Leach has talked a lot since arriving in Pullman about changing the culture on the team, one that is not used to winning. But it goes further than the team. The culture needs to change with the fans as well. There was excitement when Leach took over. There was excitement early this season. Now that excitement is evaporating fast.

In 2015, it’s now or never for the Cougs. If they don’t produce a winning record, then this program is in serious jeopardy of being doomed for eternity. If they can’t win next year, it just won’t happen. Ever.

First of all, the team plays an easy non-conference schedule. Portland State, Rutgers, and Wyoming should all be wins. Add in home games against Oregon State and Colorado and you have an easy five wins.

Second of all, the defense should be a lot better. The majority of the secondary that played this year was comprised of mostly freshmen. Another off-season and year of experience will do wonders that the casual fan just won’t understand. The defense played remarkably better in the final three games this season. That improvement will carry over into next year.

There’s also the fact that WSU’s backfield will all be talented sophomores who were impressive this year as freshmen. Redshirt freshman quarterback Luke Falk, and freshmen running backs Jamal Morrow and Gerard Wicks were all impactful players and, like the secondary, another year in the system will keep the improvement coming. Add in a good offensive line and the return of redshirt sophomore receiver Gabe Marks, this offense should take off even more next year.

There is no question that next year has to be a good, if not great one for the Cougars. If it isn’t, they are in serious danger of losing their fan support, and becoming an apathetic program like Oregon State was in the ‘80s and ‘90s.