Cougars to take on No. 13 UCLA

Volleyball looks to end five-match losing streak with victory

JORDAN MAXWELL | Daily Evergreen file

Sophomore setter Ashley Brown serves to OSU during an Oct. 15 match.

SAM HEIKELL, Evergreen reporter

WSU volleyball (13-9, 2-8) is looking to end its five-game losing streak, as the team takes on No. 13 University of California, Los Angeles (13-6, 6-4), on Friday in Bohler Gym.

For the first time this season, the Cougars have a five-game skid, and as a result, they have fallen to 10th place in the conference standings.

In its last match, WSU got swept in three sets to Stanford, a team that currently sits atop the Pac-12 and is ranked No. 2 in the AVCA Coaches Poll.

WSU junior outside hitter Taylor Mims led the way with 18 kills and five digs, but the Cougars struggled offensively with a hitting percentage of only .137.

“It’s hard to run much of an offense with the passing numbers that we had … but Stanford is an unbelievable team,” Head Coach Jen Greeny said. “They have a lot of skills so credit to them, but we have to be able to do more with those not-great passes.”

UCLA is coming off a five-set win against Colorado last week, where freshman outside hitter Jenny Mosser recorded a career high in kills with 28, along with six digs and a hitting percentage of .400. Junior defensive specialist Zana Muno and sophomore defensive specialist Savvy Simo had 28 and 15 digs respectively.

The Bruins are looking to make an NCAA tournament run after losing in the Elite Eight to Minnesota last season, while the Cougars are hoping to start another winning streak Friday.

WSU lost on the road against UCLA earlier this season by a score of 3-1. It was a game where UCLA’s senior outside hitter Reily Buechler dominated with 21 kills and just one error.

“We just couldn’t get going offensively and that comes with the lack of passing,” Greeny said after the loss to UCLA earlier this season. “We have to keep the momentum more consistent throughout the match.”

UCLA has won 27 of their last 28 games against WSU. The Cougars’ lone win came in 2016. The Bruins are leading the all-time series 54-8.

With half of its conference games left on the regular season schedule, WSU will have 10 games to climb the standings and try to get a bid to the NCAA tournament for the second straight year.

“We have played everybody but Arizona State, and I think this team is learning we have to be more consistent and not let those silly errors and silly mistakes affect us,” Greeny said.

The match is scheduled for 8 p.m. Friday in Bohler Gym.