‘Exploit Your Dad’s Wallet’ Weekend

Use the weekend to the fullest, get your dad on a spending spree

OLIVER McKENNA | Daily Evergreen File

A fan sign during the WSU versus USC game on Sept. 29. It is common for college students to beg their parents for more money as they slave away at school.

LAUREN ELLENBECKER, Evergreen reporter

It is that time of the year again: White socks and sandals flood the streets of Pullman, dad sneezes can be heard from every corner of campus and the smell of barbecue is in the air.

Dad’s Weekend is a time for reuniting with your father, watching a football game and seeing whatever comedian is relevant during the year. However, the hype of Dad’s Weekend is as extreme as it is because dads tend to be pretty extra when they visit this campus, be it regarding football or spending.

If you think some students that attend WSU football games get a little intense, just wait until you witness a dad at one of these games. They will want to visit the stadium, take a picture with Butch and be in the presence of Mike Leach. I bet they would even lick the turf if they could. Add some beer in the mix and then you have a recipe for an embarrassing dad story.

While most of us are scratching at the bottom of the barrel for whatever we can get, dads are able to spend their money how they please because they are usually more financially content than you are. However, with this being said, fathers need to take precautions on how to not be Mr. Big Spender during this Dad’s Weekend.

Like most people, fathers are susceptible to WSU’s invisible hand that makes you want to spend and spend on WSU apparel and Cougar cheese. Our school’s Coug pride can easily disguise the costly fun that they’re having.

Additionally, it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of football games and college life, and for all of these reasons, students need to help their fathers adjust to the college scene in order to prevent them from killing their bank account. The least you can do is provide coupons.

Some of you may be wondering: “Why should I care about how much money my dad spends while he’s here?” The less money he spends on miscellaneous WSU items, the more your dad can spend on you.

For those of you who like to mooch off of your parents when they visit you, you’re not alone. Many college students count down the days until they can eat real food for an affordable cost, which is usually free, all thanks to their parents.

To be sly about this, there is a strategy on how to trick your dad into spoiling you while he thinks he’s the one having all of the fun. If you take your dad out to the game or dinner, he may feel inclined to pay the bill, and you won’t argue with him because he insists you deserve it. Dad knows what’s best, right?

Not so fast. We all need to consider how much we are willing to sacrifice on our father’s behalf. Remember not to be too greedy when your dad is here because, after all, it is Dad’s Weekend and not Spend Money On Me Weekend.

Despite all of the costs that come along with Dad’s Weekend, it is worth it to be bonding with your dad and sharing your school’s pride.

Lauren Ellenbecker is a sophomore studying communication from Anchorage, Alaska. She can be contacted at [email protected].