WSU medical school admits 60 students

Students, all from Washington, get hands-on experience

SANG JUNG, Evergreen reporter

The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, located in Spokane, now has 60 students and about 70 full-time and 94 part-time faculty, according to their first annual report.

The report shows admissions results, the number of departments, community partnerships, donors and the number of faculty and staff.

Founded in 2015, the medical school is comprised of students from both rural and urban underserved communities, with all students from Washington.

Departments in the new medical college include nutrition and exercise physiology, speech and hearing sciences, biomedical sciences, and medical education and clinical sciences. Degrees offered include Doctor of Medicine, bachelor’s and master’s in nutrition and exercise physiology, and speech and hearing sciences.

“The $10 million budget that funded the medical school is used to support core medical education programs, salaries of faculties, and material expenses,” said James Zimmerman, vice dean of Administration, Accreditation and Finance.

He also said $3 million will be funded this year and the rest will be funded next year, all through state dollars.

The students of the inaugural class also have the opportunity to participate in the Scientific Wellness program through a partnership with Arivale, a biotechnology company located in Seattle.

Zimmerman said that through the medical school’s partnership with Arivale, the faculty hopes that by directly exposing students to hands-on medicine, it would set them up in a unique position to keep them competent in their studies.

The Department of Medical Education and Clinical Sciences, created this year, plays a unique role of collaborating in interprofessional education and equipping medical students with clinical, research and technology skills.

“The biggest success of the Department of Medical Education and Clinical Sciences, is bringing forward the systematic curriculum to be responsible for delivering medical education,” Zimmerman said.

The Biomedical Sciences Department includes 15 principal investigators, with 40 scientific studies published.

Leslie Renouard, a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Biomedical Sciences, said through the school she researched the human brain.

“The most rewarding experience in my research on brain cell,” Renouard said, “is figuring out mechanisms for curing sleepwalk and sleep issues that would be beneficial to the community.”