Signing class, non-conference schedule announced

Nearly 20 students committed to Cougar baseball with season beginning in February

OLIVER McKENNA | Daily Evergreen file

WSU redshirt sophomore right-handed pitcher Davis Baillie goes through his windup to deliver a pitch during the Oct. 1 exhibition game against Central Washington University. The Cougars won 23-5.

RYAN BLAKE, Evergreen reporter

WSU baseball announced its 2018 signing class and upcoming non-conference schedule, according to separate news releases by WSU Athletic Communications this week.

Head Coach Marty Lees announced the 2018 signing class Monday. One junior college transfer and 17 high school seniors committed to the Cougar baseball program for next fall.

“I really believe that this class could be one of the best to ever arrive on campus,” Lees said. “They will represent the Washington State baseball tradition through attitude, energy and passion for the game. This is another step in the right direction toward the ultimate goal, win a championship.”

Lees announced the Cougars’ 2018 non-conference schedule Wednesday.

WSU begins its season Feb. 16 in Arizona to face University of California, Riverside and University of Nebraska. The Cougars will play each team twice during the weekend series at Tempe Diablo Stadium, home to the Los Angeles Angels during spring training.

The Cougars will stay in Arizona for a midweek game against Grand Canyon University on Feb. 20 before traveling across the country for a three-game weekend series against University of Alabama.

WSU last faced the Crimson Tide in 1950, when the Cougars, coached by Bailey Brayton, defeated Alabama 9-1 in the fourth-ever College World Series. WSU reached the championship game, but lost to University of Texas.

Fans can watch the Cougars in Pullman starting Mar. 1, kicking off a four-game series against California State University, Sacramento. The Hornets took two of three games against the Cougars in the previous opening series.

WSU remains at home for another four-game series with Saint Mary’s College the following week. It will be the first series with the Gaels since 2004 and the first ever trip to Pullman for SMC.

A Mar. 14 road game against Long Beach State comes before the Cougars open conference play. The 49’ers finished eighth in Baseball America’s final 2017 season rankings and defeated the Cougars 8-7 in a comeback win last spring.

The remainder of the non-conference schedule is spread out through the end of the season and features three games against Gonzaga University. The finalized Pac-12 schedule will be released later this month once television selections are made, according to the news release.

Though, the release indicated the Cougars will host Arizona State University; University of California, Berkeley; Oregon State University and University of Utah in Pullman throughout the season.