Allsup’s College Republicans reelection disqualified

JESSICA ZHOU, Evergreen assistant news editor

The WSU College Republicans members’ vote to reelect James Allsup as its chapter president was voided just a day later due to WSU Registered Student Organization rules.

After the vote was concluded at the chapter’s last meeting of the semester on Friday, Allsup made the announcement on Twitter at around 10 p.m., with an accompanying photo of “Pepe the Frog.” By Saturday afternoon, the vote was declared “null and void” by both the chapter adviser and WSU Student Involvement, WSUCR wrote in a post on its Facebook page. The executive committee will discuss next steps in the near future, WSUCR wrote.

“There were some misunderstandings and procedural errors, it’s been straightened out now,” WSU CR President Amir Rezamand said.

Brian Shuffield, the director of Student Involvement, confirmed the vote occurred, though Allsup would not be able to serve in the position because he will be graduating at the end of the semester.

Allsup initially resigned from his position in August after his presence at the white nationalist “Unite the Right” rally as a scheduled speaker in Charlottesville was amplified by the Twitter account “Yes, You’re Racist.” He was one of the individuals identified as an event attendee by the account in a tweet that has since been seen and shared by over 20,000 people. Allsup said he was there as a member of the media and to speak at the event and condemned racism and Nazism in August.

Reporting by Jessica Zhou