Beginning a new tradition

The first-ever Colorado Street Fair shut down Colorado street from noon until five yesterday.

The idea for the fair was conceived by Jared Powell and LaKecia Farmer, the ASWSU president and vice president, and served as one of their original running points during their campaign last spring.

“This portion of Colorado Street is perfect for bringing in a wide variety of students,” Powell said. “It attracts students from college hill, the hillside dorms and Greek houses.”

The fair, which stretched from B Street to Ruby Street, had a variety of inflatables scattered across the yards of Greek houses, as well as a mechanical bull.

Five musical acts played throughout the fair including Runaway Symphony, an indie-folk band from the University of Idaho, and DJ Goldfinger, owner of Stubblefield’s Bar and Grill, who also provided beer and food.

Goldfinger, who has owned Stubblefield’s for almost 15 years, said nothing like the fair has ever been done at WSU.

“ASWSU really stepped outside the box with this one; it’s fresh, new, and innovative,” Goldfinger said. “It makes me wish I had thought of it.”

Planning for the fair began in April, after the election. Powell and Farmer said the entire event was put together by the Director of Student Life at ASWSU Nathan Cherzan, once planning was complete.

Because Colorado Street is under the jurisdiction of Pullman, not WSU, events such as this have to be approved by every city department.

“We wanted the event to be closer to the beginning of the school year, but were denied for a few reasons,” Cherzan said. “We can’t interrupt the bus schedule, and the only way to not do so and to keep it on Colorado Street was to have it take place on a Sunday, when buses don’t run.”

Cherzan said that attendance numbers could have been better, but still thought the event was a success.

Powell and Farmer, who both graduate in May, have high expectations for the fair moving forward. Powell hopes that the event will become a tradition, bringing all types of students at WSU together for years to come.

“I hope this becomes like Springfest, where not a lot of advertisement is necessary; people just know to expect it the same time each year and look forward to it every time,” Farmer said.

“If someone heard that ASWSU was going to shut down Colorado Street, put a bunch of inflatables, a mechanical bull, and five completely different musical acts in a fraternity’s backyard, they probably would’ve said ‘that’s crazy.’ But here it is, and it’s amazing,” Goldfinger said, regarding the event as a whole.