Cougars lose two wide receivers for bowl game

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen assistant sports editor

WSU junior wide receiver Tavares Martin Jr. has been dismissed from the Cougar football team for a violation of team rules, Associate Director of Athletics Bill Stevens confirmed.

Martin led WSU in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns catches this season. He was suspended for one game earlier this season against University of Colorado for a violation of team rules as well.

Martin’s dismissal comes a day after Head Coach Mike Leach said he doesn’t expect sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Johnson-Mack to play in the Holiday Bowl against Michigan State University on Dec. 28.

Mack expressed a desire to leave WSU and transfer to another school on Nov. 30 over Twitter citing “personal reasons” and wanting to play football “at a school closer to home.”

Two days later, Mack sent out a tweet claiming that Leach refused to grant him a release from the program. The head coach intended to meet with Mack on Friday to discuss his request, but Leach’s flight from Seattle to Pullman that night was turned back.

As of Saturday afternoon, Leach had yet to speak to Mack and said he isn’t practicing with the team.

Mack had 60 receptions for 555 yards and five touchdowns in twelve regular season games for the Cougars this year.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen Editor-in-Chief

Dylan Greene is a journalism and media production major from Stanwood. He started as the football beat reporter in the fall of 2017 and midway through that semester he was promoted to Assistant Sports Editor. He served as the Sports Editor for the 2018 spring semester and became Editor-in-Chief in May of this year.