Student challenges campus sexual assults

Students rally on the steps outside of Todd Hall during the annual Take Back the Night event Thursday, Dec. 17, 2013.

One student will conclude her career at WSU fighting against sexual and domestic assault of women on campus.

Senior women’s studies major Morgan Brown was elected as president of the Coalition for Women Students during the 2014-2015 school year after one year of prior experience. 

The Coalition of Women Students is a Registered Student Organization that encompasses six smaller subgroups of volunteers who fight for the rights of women on campus.

“We are always doing something new, and I have enjoyed seeing the rate of people joining the organizations going up,” Brown said.

Brown began as a volunteer for the Young Women’s Christian Association, one of the smaller groups under the Coalition.

Brown said she helped put on and participated in events that brought light to violence and sexual assault on campus. She now is in charge of coordinating events as well as overseeing the smaller organizations including the Native American Women’s Association, Black Women’s Caucus, and the Association of Pacific Islander Women.

The Coalition has also adopted a new organization called Coug Mentality, which is a women’s struggles task force run by men.

Director of the Women’s Resource Center Turea Erwin said Brown’s attitude toward the cause was positive.

“She is very energetic and just wants to make sure that the Coalition is a positive and active presence on campus,” she said.

Brown has attended multiple leadership conferences as well as led initiatives on how to help single moms on campus.

The CWS’s biggest event for the year is the Week Without Violence campaign that takes place this year from Oct. 13-17 and begins that Monday night with the “Take Back the Night Rally” kickoff on the mall.

There will be a spoken word performance followed by a march through campus and College Hill to raise awareness for victims of sexual and domestic assault.

The week also includes the impactful clothesline project in which women who have a story of sexual assault, rape, or recovery can anonymously express their experiences to passersby.

Those wishing to share will paint and decorate their own T-shirt however they like to help others understand their stories and their lives. The WRC will provide free paint and T-Shirts for the duration of the week.

The organization operates within the Women’s Resource Center in the CUB and maintains goals of women’s inclusion, diversity, social justice, issues and leadership development.

The WRC is responsible for popular programs like Women’s Transit and a boutique where parents on campus can find gently used clothing for their children while still going to school.

Program coordinator for the WRC Missy Gill has put on multiple events at WSU in the last year including a body image campaign and the “Go Red” program that focuses on the prevention of heart disease in women.

She said that she wasn’t aware of all of the resources available through the center until she joined and encourages students to get involved.

“We help volunteers to grow as leaders as well as working with a wide variety of students,” Gill said.

Brown will conclude her time at WSU by the end of the 2015 school year but said she hopes that she executed her job well.

“My main goal was to just make sure that everybody felt like they made a difference on campus, and I wanted to make sure we did so in a productive way where we all worked together,” Brown said.

Brown, a women’s studies major, will graduate with a minor in women’s comparative ethnic studies, and she said she hopes to join the Peace Corps after graduation.