The fashion spirit of the times

After contemplating the possible zeitgeist at WSU, I came to a conclusion: it is not the factors that contribute to spirit of the times that matter, but rather the final message that the dominating fashion style represents.

Zeitgeist, a German word that literally means spirit (geist) of the time (zeit), is meant to describe the intellectual and cultural climate of an era. I think it is crucial to take note of what influences fashion now, because 20 to 40 years from now, we can compare and contrast what we wore in college as opposed to what our grandchildren will be wearing.

Currently, at WSU I see many people wearing hippie styles inspired from music festivals and street-inspired looks rather than garments made by renowned fashion designers and what is shown on the runway.

Most students lead a very hectic lifestyle full of deadlines and exams, and style is closely linked to a budget, so there are a lot of knits and fabrics with a high level of spandex being worn. Sportswear is also very popular, as it is very comfortable and people don’t have to put much thought into their outfits.  

What I love about fashion is that it always has a story to tell, and at WSU the various style trends that I perceive in students tell me that the zeitgeist represents a duality behind the reasoning for college students’ fashion of choice.

This dichotomy stands for the assertion of individuality versus being a member of a collective society.

On one hand, students dress to enjoy their newfound emancipation. As opposed to the limitations set to the dress code at the average high school establishments, college allows for a more liberty in what you can and can’t cover.

For example, in warmer weather I saw girls wearing bandeaus to class (as if they just came from the beach) and dangerously-high rise shorts that reveal underbutt cleavage. Though we may come from many diverse backgrounds, most students experience self-discovery as we are no longer surrounded by all things that we could once call familiar.

Everything becomes foreign to us. Our new sense of freedom in choosing styles reflects personal likes, and inspiration can really come from anywhere. 

On the other hand, as human beings, we have an undeniable need to belong to a group.

According to social psychologist Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, the need to belong was one of five necessities humans required for self-actualization. Every time we wear our Cougar gear and support our teams we are fulfilling that need.

The influences that form the zeitgeist fashion at school are represented by the current music, religion, art, and even architecture from around the world. African-inspired tribal prints represent African culture on campus. Fashion can also have undertones from politics, cultural events and style icons.

Currently, the ability to shop online has revolutionized the way we dress. Brand loyalty isn’t as important to consumers anymore, and as a result businesses have a shorter lifespan than ever before.

J. Maureen Henderson from Forbes said for millennials, “Retailers such as Gap, Urban Outfitters and Aeropostale have been suffering in light of decreased consumer spending by twenty-somethings and cautions these retailers and others in their shoes about aiming their marketing campaigns at a cohort that currently lacks spending power.”

Although fashion is normally seen as the ultimate example of superficiality and vanity, I think that it is important to take a second look into fashion. I think there is always more than meets the eye, and if you look closely you will discover these trends inspired from around the world.