Reader reaction: Student Media Board discusses future of The Daily Evergreen

Readers react to a live video of an emergency Student Media Board meeting to discuss potential changes to The Daily Evergreen’s print cycle. Measures necessary to balance the budget might include reducing print to two days a week or cutting summer print altogether. Community members attended to voice their opinions and suggestions.

Erin Mullen: “Working for the Evergreen gave me the skills necessary to get my dream job right out of college, thanks to the daily deadlines, people management, and project coordination. This is a newspaper staffed with full-time students who work harder than anyone I’ve ever met, all because they love this paper and serving the community. If we want smart, dedicated and strong journalists, then The Daily Evergreen’s advertising and marketing staff should have a chance to innovate with ad sales and income streams instead of having their print severely cut.”

J.j. Strissokes: “Horrible job by the Daily Evergreen this year. Disgrace. Polarized propaganda.”

Jonathan Villanueva: “The Daily Evergreen has given students the voice it needs time and time again. This past semester has not only shown that The Evergreen is the flagship print of WSU but also gives the chance students need to succeed in the real world. Cutting the Daily Evergreen would not only stop real journalism but also give the reporters and editors their the chance to cover stories across Pullman.”

Armand Hiebert: “A student run university paper is great for the students to learn and become journalists through experience, but the DE itself is absolutely awful. I’m sure the university and its students will find another way to practice their future professions and have a good learning environment.”

Calley Hair: “It’s a shame that WSU would let its flagship journalism org fall by the wayside when the DE’s budget really is relatively small (and costs a mere fraction of the university’s public relations arm). You can’t cut corners on a daily print experience — it teaches you skills that news employers specifically seek out in new grads, and builds unimpeachable bonds between these students (and future colleagues in a really tough industry).”