Met live at the kenworthy

Met live at the kenworthy

Anna Netrebko as Lady Macbeth and Željko Lučić in the title role of Verdi's Macbeth, opening September 24 at the Metropolitan Opera. The first Met Live at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre starts at 9:55 a.m. Saturday.

The Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow only gets better with age.

Beginning Oct. 11, the Kenworthy will be able to stream digital content, including the Metropolitan Operas live from New York after receiving its new digital projector.

Bringing the Met Operas to Moscow has been in the works for some time. Five years ago, a passionate person came in and asked if the theater could stream the operas, said Executive Director Christine Gilmore.

The Kenworthy couldn’t at the time, but the person returned last year and the theatre staff was finally able to say yes, Gilmore said.

“When this idea was brought to us we said, ‘Okay, we are going to make this work,’” Gilmore said. “This series will springboard us into others as well.”

The Met Opera Live is a program that streams opera performances in New York to theaters around the nation.

Individuals from Moscow and Pullman donated money that allowed the Kenworthy to go digital with the instillation of a satellite and projector, Kenworthy House Manager Jamie Hill said.

“This is something entirely new to us,” Hill said. “It has opened up new opportunities for programming so we can get movies faster and respond to customer requests.

Gilmore said the staff at the Kenworthy is working hand-in-hand with the board of directors for the Met Live so the streaming will go perfectly on Saturday. People get to see something someone in New York is watching without ever leaving Moscow, she said.

“The Kenworthy is dedicated to high quality film experiences, and the Met Live provides another source of cultural entertainment to the community,” Gilmore said.

Verdi’s “Macbeth” will kick off the series at 9:55 a.m. Saturday. The other operas that will be streamed are Mozart’s “Marriage of Figaro,” Bizet’s “Carmen,” Rossini’s Barber of Seville,” and Wagner’s “Die Meistersinger con Nurnberg.” For a complete list of event information, visit the Kenworthy website at kenworthy.org.

General admission is $20, and student admission is $15.

Reporting by Brookelynn Graditi