Research finds Parkinsons molecule copy-cat

WSU researchers have identified a ‘copycat’ molecule for Parkinson’s disease, which could confuse results.

The researchers found a molecule which is structurally similar to dopamine. These molecules may cause dopamine levels to appear higher than they should be in Parkinson’s disease patients.

Decreased dopamine levels indicate Parkinson’s disease. Because of this, one way researchers test for Parkinson’s disease is by measuring dopamine levels. Using an ion mobility-mass spectrometry instrument allows scientists to detect the copycat molecule, and thus study and measure dopamine without other interference like the copycat molecule, said Herbert Hill, WSU regents chemistry professor.

The ion mobility-mass spectrometer, which identifies copycat molecules, is an instrument that separates ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio and size-to-charge ratio, which is indicated by the ion mobility, to measure the molecule’s molecular weight and size, said Veronica Chiu, a WSU graduate student who participated with the research.

“The identical molecule of dopamine that we found could help neuroscientist be aware that they might have underestimated their results when they measured dopamine,” Chiu said. “Ion mobility-mass spectrometry may be a better instrument to measure dopamine or other neurochemical in the brain.”

The scientists look at the speed and weight of a molecule while using the testing technique. Some molecules travel faster than others, which helps scientists to correctly identify the molecules when combined with weight, Hill said.

WSU researchers collaborated with Texas A&M researchers, who found the rats in their lab showed Parkinson’s disease symptoms, sent samples of brain tissue to WSU for examination of striatal samples using the ion mobility-mass spectrometer, Chiu said.

The technology used in finding the copycat molecule has been used since the 1960s, but is becoming a more popular testing technique for many health issues, including cancer and diabetes. Companies are beginning to make ion mobility mass spectrometer instruments like this commercially, Hill said.

The technology the researchers used in this study allowed them to see the big picture rather than just focusing on one compound in a few minutes, due to the power of this technology. A traditional method, such as liquid chromatography, takes at least 20 minutes to separate complex samples and give the researchers results, said Xing Zhang, a former WSU graduate student and research assistant.

One of the main contributors to this study was the late WSU professor James Schenk, who passed away during the study. Schenk was able to make the connections between WSU and Texas A&M and organized retrieving the samples for examination from Texas, Zhang said.

“I think we do research in general to improve and have a better understanding in science,” Chiu said. “Whether it is improving our instrumentation or finding better biomarkers it is beneficial and important for the science field, and may help to diagnose and treat diseases.”