Students act out ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’

Celebrate this Halloween than with broken movie theater screens, water damage, rice, toast, costumes, and a good time. The WSU Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) will present all with a live shadow cast showing of the cult-classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” at 7 p.m. and midnight Oct. 30 in the CUB Auditorium.

“(The) film itself has a lot of sex and body positivity,” said Kris Packer, freshman anthropology and psychology major at UI.

However, this isn’t going to be the average movie screening.

Students from WSU and UI will act out in a live shadow cast version of the movie in which actors will act out scenes from the film in front of the screen, while audience members yell back dialogue as a part of the movie experience as well.

“(It’s the) first time for all of us. None of us have acted in a Rocky Shadow Cast before, but some actors do have acting experience and have seen a Shadow Cast,” said Brianna Tollackson, junior English major at WSU.

Tollackson, who is the GSA liaison for ASWSU, will play the role of Rocky, a sexier version of the classic Frankenstein.

GSA member Ray Lechett, senior fine arts major, directed the performance part of the show. GSA has put together Rocky in years past but last year chose to host a winter formal instead, Lechett said.

Lechett, said he is a Rocky fanatic and even has a tattoo of one of the main characters, Frank N. Furter, with a quote that says “Don’t dream it, be it,” on his arm.

“I am definitely excited to work with people and choreograph,” he said.

Olivia Moreno and Kris Packer, two UI students, were cast as two of the most recognized characters from the movie, Brad and Janet. Moreno, sophomore wildlife resources major, said she is most excited for the character development of Janet.

“The outfits are really fun,” she said.

Janet’s progression throughout the film can be seen in her costume changes and the way she carries herself. Janet starts out covered up wearing a plain white dress and ends up dressed in revealing burlesque-type clothing.

Will Stratmeyer, freshman civil engineer and music composition major at WSU, said he plans to attend the show for the first time with friends and is excited.

As a Rocky virgin, Stratmeyer said his friends told him that usually they put a lipstick “V” on first timers’ foreheads. Audience members often show up in costume to contribute to the atmosphere as well.

Other forms of audience participation take place during different scenes, such as the famous audience participation that occurs during the “Time Warp,” when audience members dance along with the movie and actors of the shadow cast.

Although throwing toast, rice, hot dogs, toilet paper, and water is a popular occurrence during the show, throwing items will be prohibited in the CUB Auditorium. However, viewers who attend will be supplied with goodie bags equipped with props and candy, Lechett said.

About 30 minutes before each show beings, a costume contest will take place, where winners can win prizes, one of them being a vintage Rocky Poster, Tollackson said.

Tickets can be purchased at the door for $7.