Cougar football falls to Arizona

The Washington State Cougars were unable to produce many memorable highlights against the University of Arizona, ultimately falling to the Wildcats by a score of 59-37.

The Wildcats began the scoring with an 81-yard-punt return for a touchdown during the team’s first possession by Arizona redshirt-sophomore DaVonte Neal. The score quickly put the Wildcats up 7-0 with 13:54 left to play in the first quarter.

The Cougars went three-and-out on their first offensive possession, which resulted in another punt by true freshman Jordan Dascalo. The Wildcats marched 84 yards down the field, eventually leading to a 31-yard field goal conversion by redshirt-junior Casey Skowron to make the score 10-0.

The Cougars’ Air-Raid offense stalled on its next possession, and the Wildcats took advantage and led 17-0 after Arizona freshman quarterback Anu Solomon completed a 2-yard pass to Neal. The score was Neal’s second touchdown of the game with 3:55 remaining in the first quarter.

The Wildcats didn’t look back, scoring on its next two possessions and eventually leading 31-0 with 8:56 left in the first half. The Cougars rallied to make the score 31-16 at halftime, after a pair of touchdown passes by WSU redshirt-senior quarterback Connor Halliday, and a 40-yard field goal conversion by redshirt-junior Quentin Breshears at the end of the first half.

The Wildcats up-tempo offense started fast in the second half, leading 52-16 at the end of the third quarter on three consecutive touchdown passes by Solomon. The Arizona defense held the Cougars’ explosive pass offense to zero points in the third quarter.

The Cougars’ offense caught fire to open the fourth quarter with a pair of touchdowns to make the score 52-30, but it was too little too late. An onside kick return for a touchdown by Wildcats’ redshirt-sophomore Cayleb Jones sealed the Cougars fate, making the score 59-30 with 6:09 left in regulation.

Halliday finished the evening with 11,264 career passing yards, passing former WSU quarterback Alex Brink as the Cougars’ all-time passing leader.

With the loss, the Cougars’ fall to a record of 2-6 (1-2 in PAC-12 play) and are just one loss away from being eliminated from bowl contention.

Reporting by Curtis Calhoun