Board to discuss cutting Evergreen

Facing revenue decrease, Evergreen will propose student fee to ASWSU today

Advertising+Manager+Jacob+Wagoner%2C+right%2C+explains+how+declining+advertising+sales+contributed+to+The+Daily+Evergreen+deficit+at+the+Jan.+10+Student+Media+Board+meeting.+

LUKE HOLLISTER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Advertising Manager Jacob Wagoner, right, explains how declining advertising sales contributed to The Daily Evergreen deficit at the Jan. 10 Student Media Board meeting.

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen editor-in-chief

To address budget shortfalls, the Student Media Board will revisit the possibility of print cuts to The Daily Evergreen today.

At a Jan. 10 meeting, the Student Media Board voted to cut all print production of The Summer Evergreen and delayed a decision on print cuts this semester until more information was provided about potential savings.

The Evergreen also plans to propose a $5 student fee as a new source of revenue to ASWSU today.

Editor-in-Chief Madison Jackson said the paper would be willing to decrease the number of print days if the planned referendum fails. The Evergreen could avoid major changes to printing if the referendum were to pass, she said.

“I stepped into this position knowing that I would need to do everything I could to pass the referendum,” Jackson said.

The paper has already made spending reductions, including cuts to travel and eliminating Moscow deliveries.

The total deficit for Student Media has fallen from $184,710 to $147,172, according to an Office of Student Media handout distributed at the Jan. 10 meeting. If the pending reductions, such as reducing Adobe Creative Cloud subscriptions and the ASIS contract, were processed, the deficit would then be $128,130.

The Daily Evergreen has $136,207 in its reserves.

Director of Student Media Richard Miller said at the Jan. 10 meeting that the spending cuts are still not enough, and a drop in advertising revenue has worsened the deficit.

Advertising Manager Jacob Wagoner said he hopes to gain a better understanding of the budget situation in the next meeting. While considering the downside, he said he is optimistic for the referendum passing.

“We’ll have to take some steps internally to continue production of The Daily Evergreen,” Wagoner said. “I truly believe it will pass.”

Gabriella Ramos, Visitor’s Guide Magazine and Mint Editor, said she and Jackson have been working hard to find ways to avoid any major cuts.

The Evergreen has reported on similar situations threatening other student groups on campus.

“We really are serving the community and making sure student voices are heard,” Ramos said.

Ramos said The Summer Evergreen impacted her experience in becoming last semester’s editor-in-chief. She emphasized the training opportunities the paper provides for student journalists, editors and photographers. Ramos is hopeful the proposed referendum will pass.

“We have the legacy of this paper on our shoulders right now,” Ramos said.

The Student Media Board will meet at 4:15 p.m. today in Murrow Hall, Room 123 to discuss The Daily Evergreen’s future.

The Evergreen will present the proposed student fee to ASWSU at 5:30 p.m. in CUB, Room 204 today.

This article has been updated from its original version to reflect the fact that regular ASWSU meetings takes place in CUB 204.