Student recital features piano

Many college students can’t point to one hobby they’ve had the majority of their life, but for Regan Siglin, piano has been a constant.

Siglin, a junior working toward a bachelor’s degree in piano performance, started playing at 4 years old, when her parents bought her an electric keyboard.

“I can’t even remember not playing piano,” Siglin said.

Students have the chance to hear how a decade and a half of practice has paid off during Siglin’s recital at 4:10 p.m. today in Kimbrough Hall.

Even though Siglin had been playing piano for years, it wasn’t until winning a competition as a high school junior that she realized her career calling.

“At that moment I said ‘I love this,’ and I want to do this the rest of my life,” she said.

Siglin chose to attend WSU after taking part in the university’s “Summer Keyboard Explorations,” a weeklong camp in which teenagers visit campus and work with faculty members to improve their piano playing.

“The teachers here, the overall feel – I fell in love with the program,” Siglin said.

The recital is a graduation requirement for her degree and will be reflective of her time here at the school so far, she said.

Audience members will hear her perform pieces from composers Bach, Hayden, Wagner-Liszt, and David McIntyre.

“I’ve been working on the Bach piece since I was a freshman,” Siglin said.

Siglin’s studio piano teacher, Jeffrey Savage, an associate professor of music, said he chose the songs to challenge and develop her as a musician and to expand her repertoire of music.

One of the most challenging parts of the recital has been memorizing all the songs being played, but it pays off, Siglin said.

“Memorizing the piece helps you play from the heart,” she said. “It’s terrifying, but adds to the music.”

After obtaining her undergraduate degree Siglin said she hopes to continue studying piano and master in collaborative piano, a study that focuses on accompaniment. 

“Regan plays with great elegance and is a captivating performer,” Savage said.

Students can hear Siglin’s performance for free this afternoon in Kimbrough Hall.

Reporting by Dustin VandeHoef