Booze News: Get ready for sweet grenadine shots galore

Whether you stay in or go out, choose your booze wisely

Extra brut sparkling wine or champagne pairs with strawberries. Demi-sec pairs with chocolate.

Luke Hollister | Evergreen Photo Illustration

CHRIS WEST, Evergreen columnist

So it’s that time of year again when our significant others look up from their Christmas presents just long enough to ask, “So, what are we doing for Valentine’s Day?”

Never mind that you got them a splendid pile of crap just six weeks ago — the novelty and love of the holidays has worn off, and we’re on to the next season of gift giving.

But that’s what love is. It’s expressing your heartfelt emotion and undying passion for your other half by celebrating a holiday that’s pretty much based around a naked, hairless archer in a diaper, sniping people with poison-tipped arrows designed to increase your dopamine and create passionate hallucinations.

So welcome to the love doctor edition of Booze News, and listen carefully.

First and foremost, know that every bar in town will undoubtedly be serving some form of Valentine’s Day shot, no doubt stained red with grenadine, because nothing says “I love you” like a shot glass of chilled tequila with cherry flavoring.

Whether you choose to go out with your mate, or whoever it is you rounded up at the end of biology class for a date, put some effort into it.

One thing I would recommend that seems quite lively is the Murder Mystery Dinner Masquerade at the Best Western Plus University Inn in Moscow. Admission is $45 per person, and includes dinner and a no-host bar (which means you have to pay for drinks), all wrapped up in the setting of a murder mystery game.

What’s even more fun is that you have to dress up and were a masquerade mask. Nothing says Valentine’s Day like getting all dressed up and beautiful, and then throwing a mask on your face.

If you’re really looking to impress, I heartily recommend heading to Merry Cellars. The seventh annual Valentine’s Day Winemakers Dinner is happening from 6 – 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

This culinary bit of majesty features a six-course meal paired with Merry Cellars wine. Dinner will be held in the Barrel Room, complete with patio lights and salted caramel cheesecake. And wine. Did I mention wine? Tickets are going for $100 per person, which includes gratuity. Seating is limited, so get them while you can. Plus, there’s wine.

If you’re more of an intimate, let’s-make-dinner-together-at-home-just-us sort of practitioner, then here are a few key guidelines:

If you’re making dinner at home, shell out the clams for the good wine or booze. If strawberries and wine are your thing, I recommend extra brut, or dry-finished, sparkling wines. If chocolate and champagne is your thing, then get one that says demi-sec, which tends to be on the sweeter side.

Always pair spicy food with a sweet wine and never put glass next to the fireplace, especially if you’re drinking more than 80 proof.

For those of you who are going out to the bars to find your annual snuggle-buddy (just own it, you’re not fooling anyone), be courteous and polite. Gentlemen, wear a tie, or a tuxedo T-shirt. That’s always classy.

We’re all friends here and the world could always use more love and … snuggling. That being said, happy Valentine’s Day. Be safe, my friends, and bottoms up.

CHRIS WEST, Evergreen columnist

Chris West is a junior viticulture and enology major from Plano, TX.