UREC activities go paternal

Dads will take over UREC this weekend through a variety of activities and contests.

The events begin at 6 p.m. Friday with UREC’s first Dad’s Bench Best bench press competition.

The competition will be a team effort, as participants will combine weight with their Dad, said Coordinator of Fitness Services and Education Matt Atwell.

“We got a lot of requests for a bench press competition, but UREC staff thought it’d be the perfect opportunity to bring dads down to see our cool facility,” Atwell said.

Participants will receive a T-shirt and bragging rights, he said.

For the adventurous students looking to spend some time outdoors with their dads, the Outdoor Recreation Center will host a day hike to Kamiak Butte.

The hike will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday.

Matt Wagner, outdoor programs and climbing wall coordinator, said the hike has been successful in the past, and this year the hike is already full.

Wagner said 12 participants will drive to Kamiak Butte and hike anywhere between three and five miles.

The group will hike through forest primarily, but the ridgeline is where the views are, Wagner said.

“The ridgeline is the reason most people do the hike,” he said. “You get full views of Pullman and Moscow.”

For more outdoor fun, UREC will offer a Dad’s Challenge on the high ropes course. The challenge costs $29 per participant and will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Lunch is included.

“A facilitator will do icebreakers and team builders to get the group to know each other and bond,” Mandy Schenkemeyer, coordinator of the Challenge Program said. “It is more of a personal challenge than a competition between other participants.”

There are currently 20 spots open, but students much register in advance, Schenkemeyer said.

To end the weekend, the WSU Women’s Lightweight Crew  team will host “Run For Your Life,” a Halloween themed 5K run.

Taylor Adams, freshman and double major in psychology and criminal justice, is a novice rower on the team.

The money will go toward team funds and take the team to Nationals in Georgia, Adams said.

“We use the money to cover the costs of races and traveling because we aren’t school funded, since we are a varsity club sport,” Adams said. “We have to raise all the money ourselves.”

Cost is $15 for SRC members and $20 for non-members. Runners and walkers are encouraged to dress-up in a costume, and the first 500 attendees will receive a T-shirt.

Students who are already registered for a fitness class at the SRC, can check UREC’s website to see if dads can participate with you for free.

Those who are not a SRC member, must purchase a day or special events pass to gain access to the SRC for Dad’s Weekend.