Men’s basketball drops seventh straight game in Eugene

Ezekiel Nelson | Daily Evergreen File

WSU redshirt freshman guard Milan Acquaah heads across half court during the game against Arizona State on Feb. 4.

JACKSON GARDNER, Evergreen reporter

WSU men’s basketball was without their leading scorer in an 84-57 loss to the University of Oregon in Eugene on Sunday night.

Junior forward Robert Franks was listed as doubtful with a knee injury going into Sunday night’s contest and Head Coach Ernie Kent decided to sit the big man for the first time this season.

With Franks on the bench, redshirt freshman forward Devante Cooper got the nod for his first career start. His seven points and five rebounds in 32 minutes of action were career highs for the 6-foot 11-inch Atlanta, Georgia native.

The Ducks stayed in control of the game for the entire night. The only time they did not have the lead over WSU was on the first bucket of the game from junior guard Viont’e Daniels. The Cougars tied it up once more four minutes later, but would only get as close as one point for the remainder of the game.

Senior forward Drick Bernstine’s lackadaisical performance compounded the depth issues at the forward position for WSU. While Bernstine did lead the Cougars with 11 rebounds, he was also the leader in turnovers, with five of the 15 turnovers for WSU.

For Oregon, sophomore guard Payton Pritchard led the way for the Ducks. He finished the night with a double-double recording 19 points and 10 assists. In the first half, Pritchard showed off his hops with a one-handed slam in the open court off of a steal.

A mix of good passing and high-flying made for a punishing night on Oregon’s rim. The Ducks slammed home six dunks that had Matthew Night Arena rocking throughout the game.

The Cougars will be back at home at 8 p.m. Thursday for a rematch against Colorado.