Dean candidate hopes to increase Murrow diversity

Andrea Miller would prioritize technology, recruitment, innovation

Andrea Miller presents strategies she would bring to WSU as the new dean of Murrow College.

BREANNE SEARING, Evergreen reporter

One of two candidates for the deanship of the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, Andrea Miller, came to campus Monday.

Miller, current associate dean for Undergraduate Studies and Administration and professor at the Manship School of Mass Communication at Louisiana State University, said one of her goals is to stay ahead of communication technology.

“I believe that I would be an excellent fit in the Murrow College of Communication,” Miller said, “and that I have the ability to move the college forward in a positive manner.”

Teamwork and leadership were at the forefront of her discussion, and she is looking to use those qualities as a driving force to meet the challenges of the “Drive to 25” university-wide initiative.

“Drive to 25” is WSU’s plan to achieve recognition as one of the top 25 universities in the nation in research and teaching techniques by the year 2030.

Miller said her top priority is to recruit graduate students and make sure they are able to attend conferences and have plenty of research opportunities.

“I would say that my greatest achievement is working with students and watching them move on and exceed in the working world,” Miller said.

She hopes to boost enrollment numbers by making a conscious effort to reach a diverse population of students. This includes recruiting in high schools that have a higher percentage of minorities. She also is looking to increase faculty diversity.

Increased enrollment would have a direct correlation to a positive shift in the budget by expanding existing resources available to the college, she said.

“I am no stranger to budget deficit,” Miller said. “I have experience with problem-solving such adverse conditions at Louisiana State University.”

She believes these challenges are key to preparing undergraduate students for graduate program applications and the post-college workforce.

Chip Hunter, chair of the Search Advisory Committee and dean of the Carson College of Business, is tasked with the responsibility of assisting the university with the recruitment to find a qualified individual to fill the position.

“Leadership is a major impact in the decision to fill the position,” Hunter said, “and will help faculty, staff and students to have an effective difference in the future of the College of Communication.”

• Football

Two players leave football team

• Dean candidate hopes to increase Murrow diversity

Some campus streets will see closures Saturday

GPSA leaders balance school, advocacy

‘Being a female voice in a room is very important’

How student fees are used at WSU

WSU looks to increase window safety

Local teachers rally before meeting for salary increase

City Council discusses adding solar panels to City Hall

• Local

Whitman County Primary Elections results

• Local

Opal Street to close for second day Tuesday