KUGR runs for Team Gleason

WSU student radio station KUGR has been looking for a way to fundraise for a while, said KUGR’s fundraising director. The KUGR staff had to put their heads together to think of something both meaningful and fun to encourage student involvement.

What the station came up with was the KUGR Fun Run, a fundraiser for Team Gleason that will take place Friday. Team Gleason is an organization that raises funds and public awareness of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or ALS.

Team Gleason is named after Steve Gleason, a WSU alumni who attended the Pullman campus from 1995-99, said senior social science major Neil Roberts, the fundraising director.

“It was perfect to work with Team Gleason because of its association with the school,” said junior communication major Hayden Wise, KUGR music director. “It’s a natural fit.”

The station spread the word about the event by prompting it to the tailgaters at football games, said junior communication major Sarah Allen, KUGR promotions director.  

Sarah and several other members of the KUGR staff went to talk with the tailgaters about the event, she said.

“We’re hoping to get more alumni to participate,” Allen said.

Something that really hit home with Sarah was meeting tailgaters who have been personally impacted by ALS.

“It’s even more important that so many Cougs have been affected,” Allen said.

Matthew Zimmer, KUGR’s general manager and a senior communication major, said he keeps a watchful eye over the entire organization of the KUGR Fun Run.

“I have to make sure things go off without a hitch,” Zimmer said. “Part of my job description is knowing about all of the hiccups.”

Once the KUGR staff members decided to host the Fun Run, they had difficulty thinking of what to raise money for, Roberts said. He said Zimmer was the one who had the idea to donate the money to Team Gleason. Thirty percent of the money raised will go to the KUGR emergency fund and the rest will be given to Team Gleason.

“The big thing this year is getting set up and having people interested,” Roberts said.

He acknowledged that it is unlikely that they will break even this year.

However, whether or not KUGR is able to raise enough money this year is not the main focus. Instead, KUGR is hoping to get the set up figured out so it will go smoother next year, Allen said.

“The long term goal is to turn this into an annual event,” Roberts said.

The KUGR Fun Run will take place at 5 p.m. Friday on campus. Both the registration form and waiver must be filled out, and forms can be found at KUGR.org. The price to participate is $25, which covers both a shirt and running bib. Payments can be made on the day of the run at the Fun Run table outside Todd Hall, and forms will be available at the site of the run. 

“Really we just hope people will come run and donate,” Allen said.