CCE offers ways to give back on 9/11

Sept. 11 is not only the anniversary of a national tragedy. It is one of the United States’ National Days of Service and Remembrance, when citizens are encouraged to give back to their communities.

WSU’s Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) provides students with numerous ways to get involved, including three one-time service projects on Thursday.

“Part of your mission is to celebrate National Days of Service and Remembrance, and 9/11 is one of them,” said Erin McIlraith, the CCE’s marketing and communications coordinator.

Thursday’s projects include a Harvest House recycling outreach program, a Whitman Senior Living program and a Palouse After School mentor program.

During the recycling outreach program from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., students will collect donations from university housing facilities. The donated items will be sold at the Harvest House Thrift Store, and profits will assist community members with disabilities.

The Whitman Senior Living program will run from 1-3 p.m. Volunteers will socialize and provide manicures for the senior citizens who live there.

The Palouse After School mentor program will take place from 3:10-5:30 p.m. The program is a part of the Whitman County Rural Library District. Participants will be transported to the Palouse where they will help kids with their homework and participate in activities and games.

One-time projects consist of small groups lead by a student project leader who provides instruction for the volunteers.

“We have eight project leaders, all students,” said Ashlie Grilz, the CCE’s community projects coordinator. “They work with the volunteers to assist them and help them pull meaning out of the experience.”

Transportation will be available for the service projects. Volunteers will meet in the CCE office and will then be transported in a van to the service opportunity.

“Transportation is an important opportunity we can provide students, because not every student has a car,” said Kassi Rolin, the CCE’s student engagement coordinator.

One-time projects take place throughout the year. The CCE also coordinates large group projects. More information can be found at cce.wsu.edu/911, and volunteers can sign up using CougSync.

Reporting by Cole Campitiello