WSU wins first Pac-12 game away from Beasley

Sophomore guard Malachi Flynn dribbles around Colorado freshman center Dallas Walton in a game 
Feb. 15 at Beasley Coliseum. WSU won 73-69 to snap a seven-game losing streak.

Sophomore guard Malachi Flynn dribbles around Colorado freshman center Dallas Walton in a game Feb. 15 at Beasley Coliseum. WSU won 73-69 to snap a seven-game losing streak.

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

SAM HEIKELL, Evergreen reporter

Men’s basketball scored in the closing second to beat University of California, snapping a nine-game road losing streak.

With the end of the regular season nearing, both teams were tied for last place in the Pac-12 standings and were looking to avoid closing the season out at the bottom.

The Cougars were coming off of a tough loss to University of Utah last weekend, a game where they tried to come back from an early deficit.

Sophomore point guard Malachi Flynn scored a series of clutch baskets down the stretch to close out the game.

Cal jumped out to an early lead, but WSU’s patient passing against the Golden Bears zone defense created wide open shots. The Cougars rallied behind redshirt senior forward Drick Bernstine attacking the basket and scoring layups to take back the lead.

The Golden Bears dominated on the glass in the first half, grabbing nine offensive rebounds, seven more than the Cougars.

WSU sophomore guard Carter Skaggs re-injured his ankle late in the first half and did not make a return.

WSU was able to sustain the lead throughout the game with its shooting. The Cougars knocked down three-pointers all game, going 9-22 from beyond the three-point line and hitting 50 percent of the their shots from the field.

Junior forward Robert Franks was the cornerstone to the Cougars’ offense all game long. Franks finished with 15 points and six rebounds.

Cal freshman forward Justice Sueing had the hot hand for the Golden Bears, lighting it up from downtown, making 4-6 three-pointers and putting up 25 points.

Down the stretch the lead changed hands each possession as the teams traded buckets. After a steal from Franks, Flynn pulled up and knocked down a contested three-pointer to take a two-point lead with 24 seconds to go.

Cal responded with a basket of its own to tie up the game, but Flynn hustled down the floor and found Bernstine under the basket for the game winning layup.

• WSU wins first Pac-12 game away from Beasley

Cougs look to trounce Trojans

Mens

Men’s golf places 11th in Ram Masters Invitational

• Mens

Men’s golf starts Monday

Cougars crush Eagles

Pelluer chooses crimson and gray over Crimson Tide

An unexpected journey

Cougars face Eastern Eagles

Leaf shares story with WSU athletes

Meet new ‘Head Coach Leach’ in Pullman

Records show numerous allegations of sexual misconduct against Jason Gesser