Former WSU track athlete inducted into hall of honor

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen sports editor

Former WSU track and field discus thrower Laura Lavine will be inducted into the Pac-12 Hall of Honor on March 9.

Lavine is one of 12 former student-athletes who will be honored during a ceremony at the Pac-12 men’s basketball tournament in Las Vegas.

Lavine was part of the Cougars’ team from 1984-88 and earned fifth in the women’s discus at the 1986 NCAA Championships. She became WSU’s first NCAA Track and Field Outdoor Champion in 1987 when she won the women’s discus title. The following year, Lavine repeated as NCAA Champion and still holds the school record in the discus throw.

After college, Lavine took part in the 1998 U.S. Olympic Trials where she placed seventh in the discus. During her time at WSU, she won two Pac-10 discus titles and earned All-America honors three times.

Lavine was named WSU’s Woman Athlete of the Decade in 1996 to commemorate the conference’s celebration of 10 years of women’s athletics and was inducted into the WSU Athletic Hall of Fame in 2006.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen Editor-in-Chief

Dylan Greene is a journalism and media production major from Stanwood. He started as the football beat reporter in the fall of 2017 and midway through that semester he was promoted to Assistant Sports Editor. He served as the Sports Editor for the 2018 spring semester and became Editor-in-Chief in May of this year.