AVP candidate prizes student success

Shellie Jo Enscoe says WSU should create an inclusive environment

Shellie+Jo+Enscoe%2C+a+candidate+for+a+new+vice+president+position%2C+discusses+her+qualifications+Wednesday.+

ADAM JACKSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Shellie Jo Enscoe, a candidate for a new vice president position, discusses her qualifications Wednesday.

SANG JUNG, Evergreen reporter

The final candidate for the position of associate vice president for community, equity and inclusive excellence discussed her commitment to student success in a public forum Wednesday.

Shellie Jo Enscoe currently serves as director of the Office for Diversity and Multicultural Affairs at Salt Lake Community College in Utah.

“We need to be focused not just on access, retention and completion, but also on student success,” Enscoe said. “It’s about what we are doing to help students with identifying their potential to see who they really are.”

She said she wants to make sure that decisions she makes lead to real change, and that WSU as an institution is committed to making the change.
She said the school has to read into the students’ needs and get to the main issues affecting their experiences.

She stressed that people need to be willing to come together, share ideas and listen.

“Equity creates a path from hope to change,” she said. “A plan that is actionable, measurable and that we are proud of, is the key to success.”

She said the university needs to create conditions that allow everyone to see, believe and achieve their fullest potential.

Enscoe told the audience that collaboration and mentorship are the most important values for an institution and its leaders.

“We are here to ensure that individuals succeed,” Enscoe said. “But they can’t succeed if they don’t feel seen, heard, valued or welcomed. This is why I’m interested in this position.”