Lecture: harmful toxins are on campus

UC Riverside Philosophy Distinguished Professor Carl Cranor talks about the ethics and laws involved with epigenetics in Bryan 305, Wednesday, Sept. 24.

Common products and legally produced chemicals could expose you to harmful toxins, according to a lecture hosted by the Foley Institute Wednesday afternoon in Bryan Hall.

Poison Everywhere: The Ethics, Law, and Policy Regulation of Environmental Toxicants was the latest lecture to fill the hall with students and faculty members.

Moderator William Kabasenche, a WSU professor of philosophy, made note of how each speaker was offered water. He said that in the past the speakers were given water bottles, but because of the toxins present in plastic water bottles, the Foley Institute offered water in glasses from Kabasenche’s home.

Michael Skinner, professor of biological sciences at WSU, presented scientific research that showed how environmental toxicants could lead to trans-generational disease.

Trans-generational disease refers to diseases that can be carried onto several generations.

Skinner pointed to jet fuel, bisphenol A (BPA) found in plastics and pesticides such as DDT.

Skinner said these toxins can lead to male infertility, kidney disease, prostate disease, or an increase in mammary tumor formation.

“This is a game changer in terms of how we deal with what we are putting in the environment,” Skinner said in closing his portion of the presentation.

Carl Cranor, distinguished professor of philosophy at the University of California Riverside, who specializes in law and ethics followed, echoing Skinner’s statements.

“This is a moral and legal game changer,” he said.

His lecture focused on the legal and ethical ramifications of the untested chemicals that are in products. He said that the vast majority, 80-90 percent, of chemical substances created for sale comes with no legally required routine testing or approval.

Cranor said only pharmaceuticals, pesticides, and some food additives are tested. Most other products are permitted into commerce without any legally required testing and remain in commerce until a public agency can show proof the product is harmful.

Cranor added that U.S. residents are contaminated by more than 300 man-made substances in their lifetime, and most pregnant women are subjected to at least 43 substances that are potentially harmful.

“Molecular contamination is inevitable,” Cranor said, “but contamination by toxic molecules is the problem.”

Raoul S. Lievanos, assistant professor of sociology at WSU specializing in public policy related to environmental justice, spoke on the role of public policy in maintaining environmental justice. He stressed the importance of social institutions protecting citizens from harm.

Lievanos pointed out that institutions have been restricted by factors such as time, budget, and precautionary approaches to studies.

“Part of the mandate of the law is that we analyze our programs and policies to see what barriers there might be to the achievement of environmental justice,” Lievanos said.

Lievanos said institutions have improved the protection from toxicants through buffer zones in a California community. These are areas around schools that are prohibited from having pesticides, in order to protect the children.

However, this was only created after research discovered that a banned pesticide was found in the air and in the bodies of local residents.

The event concluded with a question and answer session where the speakers were asked how social media can help increase awareness of environmental toxicants.

Cranor said that social media can have a positive effect and move major businesses that are in the public eye.