Men’s golf takes fourth at Desert Mountain Collegiate

Four Cougar golfers finished inside top-25 at tournament in Arizona

Courtesy of Athletic Communication

Junior AJ Armstrong watches his drive at the Desert Mountain Collegiate on Saturday in Scottsdale, Arizona.

SAM HEIKELL, Evergreen reporter

After jumping two spots in the leaderboard in the final round, WSU men’s golf team claimed fourth in the Desert Mountain Collegiate in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Sunday.

Seniors Derek Bayley, Zach Anderson and Brian Mogg, junior AJ Armstrong and sophomore Daniel Kolar competed for the Cougars this weekend at the Desert Mountain Golf Course, where everyone contributed to a solid final round.

The first two rounds were supposed to be played Saturday, but action was suspended during the second round due to darkness. The tournament then continued the next day, where the final round took place immediately after the second.

Armstrong led the way for the Cougars, highlighted by a 69 (-3) in the second round, where he tallied six birdies. Armstrong tied for 15th with a final score of 218 (+2).

Not far behind him were Anderson and Mogg, who finished 18th and tied for 19th respectively. Anderson shot a 71 (-1) in the final round, finishing one stroke behind Armstrong with an overall score of 219 (+3).

Mogg was tied for 27th following the second round, but moved up eight positions with a final round of 71 (-1) to bring his overall score to 220 (+4).

Bayley got out to a hot start in the first round with a 68 (-4), tying him for fourth place. But his next two rounds set him back on the leaderboard, as he shot 80 (+8) and 74 (+2). He finished with an overall score of 222 (+6).

Along with many other players in the field, Kolar shot a rough round of 84 (+12) in the second round. He tied for 49th place with an overall score of 232 (+16), but he ended strong with 73 (+1) in the final round.

WSU finished with an overall team score of 877 (+13), only three stokes away from tying for second place with University of Michigan and Purdue University. University of Kansas won the tournament by a wide margin with a score of 853 (-11), 21 strokes ahead of second place.

Michigan senior Kyle Mueller and freshman Charlie Pilon and University of San Diego sophomore Dalton Hankamer all tied for first place with a score of 212 (-4). The lowest score of the tournament was from University of Utah freshman Blake Tomlinson, who had a first-round total of 64 (-8).

The Cougars’ next tournament is Sunday, as they travel to Oregon to play in the Bandon Dunes Championship at Pacific Dunes Golf Club.