A different view of the Cougars

CRIMZONE seating as seen on the west end of Martin Stadium, Sept. 9, 2014. This section will be occupied this Saturday.

While WSU football fans will attend the first home Cougar football game this Saturday, a select number of students will get the first CRIMZONE experience.

The special new section will offer a premium viewing experience for students in the west end zone of Martin Stadium. This section is not being billed as one for fair weather fans.

“We want the CRIMZONE to be the loudest and roudiest fans,” Athletic Marketing and Promotions Graduate Assistant Kevin Massimino said. “So we can have an impact on the game.”

Massimino’s said his vision for the section is to have the same impact on games as the Seahawks 12th man.

Martin Stadium is known for its student friendly seating. In addition to the new CRIMZONE, the stadium boasts student seating at the 50 yard line. At many major college football stadiums student sections are tucked away in corners or the end zone, which is farther away from the action.

“We have some of the best fans in the country,” Massimino said. “We are also blessed with the largest percentage of student seats in the Pac-12.”

The high percentage of student seats allow for WSU students to have the biggest impact on their team compared to other schools, and the new CRIMZONE will give students an opportunity to get closer to the action than ever before. According to WSU Athletics, there are 8,257 seats available in the WSU student during home football games.

“I think the CRIMZONE is going to add to the student section as a whole,” Former vice president of ZZU CREW Hansell Torres said. “The other student section will be able to feed off the CRIMZONE.”

Torres imagines the CRIMZONE as one big section of ZZU CREW leaders.

To sit in the CRIMZONE at a game this year students will need to obtain a CRIMZONE pass. The passes are only valid for one game at a time and can be acquired starting on the Monday before every home cougar football game. Every student that purchased a sports pass is eligible for a CRIMZONE pass, and will simply have to go to the athletics ticket office to pick up the pass for that week’s game.

Every week there will be 782 CRIMZONE passes available to students. If students receive a pass they are guaranteed a spot in the CRIMZONE. In addition to receiving a seat, there are multiple incentives that are included in the pass.

Students who receive a pass won’t need to bring their student ID to the game. Also the pass will allow students to skip the lines when entering the stadium.

Once students with a CRIMZONE pass are inside the stadium, they will be able to get one concession voucher that can be turned in at any concession stand for a free hot dog and water. Every student with a CRIMZONE pass will also receive an exclusive promotional item after entry of a game.

The CRIMZONE is part of the $61 million, five-story Football Operations Building completed in June following 18 months of construction.