Pinkleton named dean of College of Communication

Bruce+Pinkleton%2C+the+new+Murrow+dean%2C+presents+his+plans+at+a+candidate+presentation.+

ZACH RUBIO | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Bruce Pinkleton, the new Murrow dean, presents his plans at a candidate presentation.

BREANNE SEARING, Evergreen reporter

Bruce Pinkleton will take over as the new dean of the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication.

He has been heavily involved with the college through teaching and serving as both interim and assistant dean since he began his educational career with WSU in the early 1990s.

Pinkleton has said he hopes to facilitate the growth of the college by extending interdisciplinary degrees with new courses and broadened research opportunities.

The core of Pinkleton’s campaign was that the Murrow legacy of teaching and creative focus should continue.

During a presentation he gave in February, Pinkleton noted that communication is a fast-evolving area. The college needs to change quickly, he said, to stay ahead of the game and provide students experience in the fields of communication in which they want to work.

He said enhancing the student experience through new opportunities in research, internships and collaborative efforts would benefit their educational careers.

The communication program at WSU should be a place where students are not bound by the physical location of campus, Pinkleton said, but instead reach out and connect globally.