Responding to sexual assault: small changes, more education

In an open letter to WSU community Thursday, President Elson S. Floyd highlighted sexual assault issues and efforts the university is taking to respond and prevent further sexual violence.

During the 2012-13 school year, 15 percent of WSU undergraduates reported experiencing some form of interpersonal violence in the previous 12 months, according to data from the National College Health Assessment. This violence includes sexual assault, dating violence and stalking.

Floyd wrote that WSU has addressed sexual assault issues during the past few years, but directed the university to take additional measures for response and prevention.

There have not been any drastic changes to the current sexual violence prevention infrastructure, said Adam Jussel, director of student standards and accountability.

“This is something that’s been in place for a long time, we’re just doing a better job of publicizing it,” he said. “We have already got all these resources – it’s time students know they’re there.”  

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 requires that institutions receiving federal funds must have at least one person designated for responding to violations. Floyd wrote that he recently appointed Kimberly Anderson as the Title IX coordinator for WSU, in charge of handling sexual assault complaints.

Anderson said while she has filled the role her staff members have been primarily concerned with coordinating a response for when they learn about a sexual assault.

“I really am the central intake point for their concerns,” she said.

Students who experience sexual violence can contact Anderson at the Office for Equal Opportunity. She then helps the student seek help from other WSU services, or law enforcement if desired.

“We have already hired two investigators in the office of equal opportunity,” Anderson said.

These investigators examine each sexual violence case internally after a report is made. Students can also request legal advice and help.

In addition to response measures, Floyd described the current preventative measures the university is taking against sexual violence.  

Starting in 2013, WSU required all incoming students to take the “Booze, Sex, and Reality Checks” workshop, which addresses issues of alcohol and sexual decision making.

Incoming students were also required to participate in a one-hour session introducing the Green Dot bystander intervention model for the first time this fall. According their website, the Green Dot model is to help students identify dangerous situations and give bystanders strategies to intervene.

Anderson said one of the most important aspects of her job is being able to coordinate with others. She said she is trained as an attorney and started at WSU as an investigator where she saw a number of sexual violence investigations.

“We’re constantly working to improve our process and our programs,” Anderson said. “We’re doing a lot here, but there’s always more we can do.”

On May 1, the U.S. Department of Education began a nationwide investigation of 55 higher education institutions, including WSU, for title XI violations in mishandling complains of sexual assault. In June The Daily Evergreen reported that two complaints in the WSU investigation were dropped due to insufficient evidence. The investigation was expanded in June to include 64 institutions