Calling all one-act plays

STAGE Student Theatre is now accepting scripts for its annual STAGE One theater festival.

The yearly event takes one-act scripts written by playwrights on campus. Students work with either STAGE adviser Ben Gonzales or on their own to write a show for consideration to be performed by STAGE.

“Last year we had a soap opera comedy,” said STAGE President Sarah Tisinger. “It was really funny (and) melodramatic.”

Past show topics ranged from fantasy to serious pieces that touch on subjects in the lives of college students. Every playwright is different, and the rehearsal process sometimes includes rewrites and reworking the piece.

Tisinger said the weekend after the deadline STAGE will hold a play selection committee to decide which shows will feature at STAGE One, and typically three to four plays are chosen. Soon after, auditions will start for the shows. There is also an application for those wanting to direct one of the plays chosen.

There are no parameters for the scripts except that it needs to be one act and about 30 minutes in length. When turning in the play for consideration, playwrights should turn in a script copy for each character in the show.

Playwrights wanting to submit their play must put it in the PR box in Daggy 225 by 5 p.m. Friday. Those wanting to apply for a director position should turn in their application to the same place. Contact Ben Gonzales for questions at [email protected].

Reporting by Catherine Kruse