Changing the tune of tubas

To some, the tuba has a bit of an unfair reputation.

It’s an instrument that tends to go hand in hand with images of a marching band or musician alternating between two notes, said WSU School of Music professor Chris Dickey.

These are exactly the kinds of expectations Dickey seeks to disprove through his upcoming concert, “Song and Wind: A Recital of Original Works and Transcriptions.” The performance, which challenges the impression of the tuba, will take place at 8 p.m. Thursday in Bryan Hall Theatre.

“Regardless of your background with music or your perceptions of the tuba in particular, I think this concert will help show you what this instrument can really do,” Dickey said.

The title of the performance serves as a homage to the late Arnold Jacobs, Dickey said. Jacobs was a principle tubist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra who is remembered for his influential playing philosophy.

“’Song and Wind’ is this approach to playing that I’ve always been taught,” Dickey said. “The whole idea is that playing an instrument is not about just buttons or playing notes on a page, it’s about having the song in your head and using wind to make that come to life.”

The recital kicks off this year’s Faculty Artist Series and features a unique combination of works originally composed for tuba and some that have been transcribed for the instrument. Selections will include two pieces originally written for voice by Henri Duparc intended to highlight the lyrical, song-like quality that the tuba doesn’t often get a chance to showcase, Dickey said.

The performance will include Dickey playing the tuba and the euphonium, a lesser-known brass instrument, and University of Idaho professor Rajung Yang as piano accompaniment.

“Chris has performed at the University of Idaho, and he’s also played with the (Washington Idaho Symphony),” said Yang, professor of piano at the University of Idaho’s Lionel Hampton School of Music. “Through those performances we became friends.”

After discussion of a performance together, Dickey and Yang overcame the busy start of the year to make it a reality, Yang said. The time they had to rehearse together has been limited but each of them has prepared extensively on their own, which makes coming together more efficient, she said.

“Playing with other people is natural for me. I enjoy it as much as performing solo,” Yang said. “It’s been a very fun project.”

Yang said together they want to challenge the idea that only traditionally solo instruments like the violin can make a great performance.

From the pyrotechnic blasts to the whispers of wind, Dickey said he intends to make an impression on the tuba’s reputation. “It may surprise some people,” he said.

Tickets will be available in the lobby 30 minutes before concert time. Admission is free for WSU students with WSU ID, and general admission is $10 for adults and $5 for senior citizens or non-WSU students. All proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the School of Music scholarship fund.