Track and field brings home nine victories

Cougars swept hammer throwing competitions at the event

WSU redshirt sophomore Tierney Silliman, left, and sophomore Jordyn Tucker race in a 60 meter dash heat on Jan. 20 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

SAM HEIKELL, Evergreen reporter

Despite rainy conditions, the outdoor season is underway for WSU track and field. The Cougars competed in the 13th annual Whitworth Sam Adams Classic in Spokane on Thursday and Friday, seeing impressive results across the board.

The first day of action saw redshirt sophomore Aoife Martin, redshirt junior Brock Eager and freshman Zak Kindl take home victories in their respective events.

Martin won the women’s hammer throw with a toss of 53.23 meters, while Eager won the men’s hammer throw with a season-best 67.22-meter hurl.

Redshirt senior Wyatt Meyring also threw a season best toss at 57.70 meters, claiming third in the men’s hammer.

Kindl finished in first place in the men’s 5000 meter run with a time of 15:19.26, while freshman Luke Schilter was close behind him with a time of 15:23.69 to claim second.

On the second day, the Cougars earned victories in six events led by redshirt sophomore Molly Scharmann who won the women’s pole vault with a personal best outdoor mark of 4 meters.

Junior Chrisshnay Brown claimed the women’s shot put with a season-best toss of 13.54 meters.

On the men’s side, redshirt junior Tucker Mjelde won the pole vault with a height of 4.60 meters and junior Peyton Fredrickson and freshman Mitch Jacobson tied for first in the high jump with a mark of 2 meters.

A season-best throw of 49.26 meters gave redshirt senior Tyler Jackson the victory in the men’s discus throw and sophomore Cameron Dean claimed the men’s 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:41.74 seconds.

The Cougars will look to carry these performances to California next weekend where they will send athletes to compete in multiple meets.