Cross country conquers competition at Inland Northwest meet

The WSU cross country team kicked off the season in winning fashion at the Clash of the Inland Northwest meet Saturday in Spokane.

Both the WSU men and women swept their respective opponents to give newly appointed Wayne Phipps his first win as the Cougars’ head coach.

When asked about the meet, Phipps called the Cougs’ effort an “excellent first race,” adding that he was “very excited for the rest of the season.”

WSU seniors Abby Regan and Ruby Roberts finished first (13:34.8) and second (13:35.5), respectively, in the women’s 4000-meter race.  The women’s team then took three more spots in the top 12 to clinch the sweep over opponents Eastern Washington, Gonzaga and Idaho. Redshirt sophomore Morgan Willson placed seventh (14:11.3), junior CharLee Linton finished eighth (14:15.3) and freshman Devon Bortfield finished No. 11 (14:22.6) for the Cougars.

The women defeated Eastern 19-38, Gonzaga 18-44, and Idaho 18-42 in dual meet scoring.

The men’s team was also able to complete the sweep over Eastern, Gonzaga, and Idaho. Dual meet scoring showed the Cougars beating Eastern 15-49, Gonzaga 25-35 and Idaho 15-50.

The Cougars swept positions four through nine in the 6,000-meter race. Redshirt senior Richard Shroy finished in fourth (18:15) and was followed in order by junior Forrest Shaffer (18:16), sophomore John Whelan (18:17), sophomore Jackson Haselnus (18:18), senior Lee George (18:23), and redshirt senior Drew Jordan (18:23).

The Cougars hit the course next on Sept. 20 for the Sundodger Invitational at Lincoln Park in Seattle.

Reporting by Nate Asbury