Hospitality students host Winefest for moms

Students, moms will come together to enjoy, study local wines from alumni, Washington state

WSU%E2%80%99s+Hospitality+Business+Management+Organization+has+been+planning+Winefests+for+the+last+34+years+to+promote+Washington+wineries.+

Courtesy of Unsplash

WSU’s Hospitality Business Management Organization has been planning Winefests for the last 34 years to promote Washington wineries.

AUDREY HUDDLESTON, Evergreen reporter

WSU’s Hospitality Business Management Organization is hosting the 34th annual Winefest to promote Washington wineries and students in the viticulture major.

Organization adviser Jenni Sandstrom said eight to 10 wineries will pour their current wines for attendees to taste. They can try a few samples, eat some food and listen to music.

Several WSU students are coming together to perform the music for the event, said Nicholas Fairchild, a senior hospitality business management major and event coordinator.

“It’s a couple friends of mine,” he said. “It’s just kind of a trio that’s getting together, they don’t have an official name.”

Fairchild had his friend Bougie Main, a Seattle rapper, create the poster for the event.

Sandstrom said the organization sends invitations to wineries asking them to participate in the event. She said they target wines by Cougs and Washington wineries.

Fairchild said his educational background prepared him for planning this event, and it is helping him move toward his career goals.

“I’ve studied abroad in Italy and France, studying wine and food pairing,” he said. “So this is kind of the direction I’m going in, working with wine and running events.”

Fairchild said this event raises money to help cover costs for students to attend a hotel conference in New York City.

“It’s an excellent conference to kind of see about how the industry is changing,” said Fairchild, who went to the conference last fall. “A lot of people are showcasing new technology, and there’s a couple different panels you get to listen to.”

Sandstrom said she enjoys trying wines from different regions and experimenting with food pairings. She said she appreciates that no matter how much she researches wine, there’s always more to learn.

“It’s so diverse, you can’t ever get to the bottom of it,” Sandstrom said. “Every time you taste a glass of wine it’s different.”

The first tasting event will take place from 5-7 p.m. today, and the second from 8-10 p.m. in the Marriott Foundation Teaching Center in Todd Hall Addition, Room 268. Tickets are $50 in advance and $60 at the door, and can be purchased online at winefest.wsu.edu. Fairchild said they are close to selling out. The event is for those 21 and older.