Homecoming here at last

Homecoming Week.

As a part of the tradition, several events leading up to the Homecoming football game on Saturday will take place throughout the week and weekend to celebrate alumni and the school.

The Student Entertainment Board will put on events all week to get WSU ready for the football game against the California Bears on Saturday.

Students who live in residence halls on campus can win points for their hall by participating in events throughout the week. The hall with the most points will win a trophy.

Information about these can be found on the SEB website at http://studentinvolvement.orgsync.com/org/studententertainmentboard/Calendar

Bonfire and Pep Rally

Friday,  6 p.m. at Flag Lane

The WSU Alumni Association will host its annual bonfire and pep rally to start the weekend off for WSU students, staff and alumni.

“It’s our traditional kickoff to the homecoming weekend,” said Mark Wilcomb, operations director for the Alumni Association. “It’s our big event for the weekend.”

The cheerleading squad, Butch and the Cougar Marching Band will make an appearance as well as surprise speakers. 

Wilcomb said the event is always filled with good cheer and school pride and is the Alumni Association’s way of starting off the big weekend.

The Lewis Alumni Center will open three hours before kickoff at the game on Saturday.

Visitor Center Open House and Wine Tasting

Saturday, 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Wine tasting will run from 1- 5 p.m.

The Visitor Center will host an open house on Saturday before the homecoming game and will include a wine tasting starting at 1 p.m.

The open house offers a family-friendly atmosphere and wine tasting tickets go for $5. The center will feature three wines from its Cougar Wine Connections display.

“Everything that we sell is connected to Cougar alumni,” said marketing promotions coordinator at the Brelsford WSU Visitor Center, Amberly Boone.

Students from the Viticulture and Enology Club and the wine business management program will be at the center to pour wine and to share information and answer questions about the wine programs at WSU.

“It’s a great opportunity for people to learn more about the wine programs we have at WSU, including the wine science center,” Boone said

The wine science center is under construction at Tri-Cities, she said.

The event is open to people of all ages.

Kickoff at the CUB

The CUB will host its usual Kickoff, three hours before Saturday’s game. The event is free and open to all ages.

“It’s a really fun, festive, game day environment,” said Karee Shaw, senior associate director for Event Services and Operations at the CUB.

Guests can expect a visit from the band and games such as the tailgate beanbag toss and coloring activities for the kids, she said.

A Kickoff at the CUB event occurs before every home game.

First Down Friday Bar Hop

Friday, 7:30 p.m., meeting at Paradise Creek Brewery

Participation in the Bar Hop is free and includes a coupon book

Cougar fans over 21-years-old can participate in the Bar Hop on Friday, put on by the Pullman Chamber of Commerce.

“It’s basically a pep rally for 21 years and over,” said Alexandria Anderson, event coordinator with the Pullman Chamber of Commerce.

Participation is free and will include live music by Igore and the Swamp Donkeys, a local band from Moscow.

New this year to the lineup is College Cabs, which is contributing five $1 ride coupons to each book.

“People can enjoy specials from different places, not just the downtown places,” Anderson said.

The coupon book includes drink or other specials from Paradise Creek Brewery, Rico’s, Sports Page Tavern, Birch and Barley, the Cider House, My Office, The Zzu, Valhalla, and Stubblefield’s.