Cougars stifled by Ducks

WSU only had two hits in loss

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman right-handed pitcher Hayden Rosenkrantz pitches the ball in the matchup against Gonzaga Tuesday evening at Bailey-Brayton Field.

RYAN BLAKE, Evergreen reporter

WSU baseball (8-16) lost to University of Oregon 2-1 in the first game of a doubleheader Friday at PK Park in Eugene.

The Cougars (8-16) got in the board first in top of the third inning. Sophomore outfielder Danny Sinatro and sophomore infielder Dillon Plew were both walked with two outs and junior infielder Andres Alvarez followed with a single to right field to score Sinatro from second.

The Ducks (17-11, 4-6) answered back in the bottom of the inning with two runs of their own. A single and an error put runners on second and third for Oregon. A sacrifice fly and a single brought in both runners and they took a 2-1 lead.

Redshirt sophomore Isaac Mullins started on the mound for the Cougars. The left hander gave up one earned run on five hits and three walks in four innings of work.

The Cougars pitching held the Ducks hitless the rest of the way. Sophomore left-handed pitcher A.J. Block threw three and one-third innings, striking out four and retiring all 10 batters he faced.

Ryan Walker replaced Block with one out in the eighth inning. He got a groundball double play after walking the first batter to get out of the inning.

Oregon pitchers held WSU to two hits in the game and the Cougars only other hit was a single in the fifth inning by junior catcher Robert Teel.

The second game of the doubleheader is currently being played.