Grad students, unite: the GPSA at WSU

Welcome to Pullman, new graduate and professional students. On behalf of the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA), we would like to inform you of a few opportunities and services available to you throughout your time here at WSU, and ways that you can get involved.

GPSA is the leading voice for graduate and professional students at WSU. Our primary goal is to facilitate the relationship between graduate and professional students and the WSU community. We bring unity to these students in the form of academic and professional support services, social activities and student outreach.

How do you become a member of GPSA? It’s easy: All currently enrolled graduate and professional students at the Pullman campus are members of GPSA.

If you would like to get involved further, consider becoming a GPSA senator. The position is a great opportunity to make a difference on campus. Senate seats are dependent on the number of students in each department. Please contact the GPSA program support staff to see if there are vacancies in your department. All GPSA members are free to participate in senate meetings, at GPSA events or even volunteer for a committee (you do not have to be a senator to participate).

Meetings typically occur every other Monday at 5:30 p.m. in the CUB junior ballroom and are open to all graduate and professional students. The first meeting of the 2014-15 academic year will be held on Sept. 8. See our website for more information.

Please join us for our second annual Welcome Back BBQ on Sept. 6 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Reaney Park near downtown Pullman. Food will be provided and close friends and families of graduate and professional students are welcome to join.

Come mingle and meet fellow graduate and professional students for happy hour Sept. 11 at Rico’s Public House on Main Street. The entire menu will be 50 percent off from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for graduate and professional students with valid Cougar Cards.

If you would like to know about graduate and professional student happenings throughout the year, please join GPSA on CougSync by visiting our website, gpsa.wsu.edu. Whether you are a graduate or professional student, GPSA invites you to be a part of the conversation. Our office is located in room 308 of the CUB.

Good luck with your first year as a graduate or professional student, and don’t hesitate to contact your department’s senator(s), any of the GPSA executive committee members, or attend any of the senate meetings if you have any concerns or comments. Contact information is available on our website.