If partying, hold yourself accountable

The party scene is strong in Pullman, and for many it’s a go-to source of weekend entertainment. But partying is a lot less enjoyable if you don’t do it responsibly.

I think I speak for all seniors when I say I’m jealous of freshmen who have their entire college experiences in front of them. For many, of course, that might include heading to a house party for drinks and debauchery.

Assuming most freshmen aren’t much older than 18, I’d like to note the country’s legal drinking age is no different here in Pullman. If we’re being honest, though, booze comes with the territory of any college town.

I remember during the beginning of my freshman year I tried tequila for the first time. I was pumped and ready for the night. As Joe Nichols’ “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off” played in the background, I threw back shot after shot.

The next thing I remember, I was in a stall puking. I woke up in the middle of the night on the floor of my friend’s fraternity house. I had blacked out and missed all the fun, only for a mean hangover the next day that made the sun my mortal enemy.

Partying responsibly is more than simply drinking responsibly. It’s about being accountable for your own actions. Parents and others will inevitably warn you not to party, but they’re missing the point. That night made me realize it’s best to do everything in moderation.

If you party too hard you’ll probably end up like me on that night, and you can bet your grades will suffer as a result. Trust me, I partied too much during my first semester, and my grades went downhill quickly.

In addition to my chemistry and biology classes, both of which have labs at separate times, I was busy trying to complete those pesky core classes we’re all required to take. Rather than focus on those, I partied nightly and slept through many classes. I learned the hard way, but you don’t have to. You can continue being successful if you pace yourself and remain conscious of your surroundings.

I encourage you all to look out for each other, too. Man or woman, it’s critically important that you keep each other safe by creating a fun yet comfortable and respectful environment.

I hope all you Cougs, especially incoming freshmen, realize you are now adults responsible for yourselves. If you party too hard and do something stupid, all your actions will have consequences. Your parents are not here to save you. You must now face the reality of adulthood.

After all, that’s what partying responsibly is all about: acting like an adult, even while having fun. Maybe I’ll see you out there celebrating – responsibly, of course – after the Cougar’s next football victory.