On-campus banquet to support mudslide victims

An American flag lowered to half-mast in front of the site of the Highway 530 mudslide.

A banquet on the WSU campus will provide additional support for those impacted by the mudslide that took lives and land this year in Snohomish County.

The March 22 landslide in Oso, just off Highway 530, killed 43 people and destroyed many homes. Since then, a group of interns from WSU has worked to assist the communities affected by the disaster.

On Sept. 5, the WSU 530 Slide Recovery Team and the ASWSU will host a three-course banquet and silent auction to raise additional funds and teach students about opportunities to help.

“I hope students see how valuable they are to their community,” said Arlington Mayor Barb Tolbert, one of eight individuals who will speak at the banquet about the community responses that follow sudden natural disasters.

Joining Tolbert will be Devon Seymour, a student liaison for the recovery team.

“A portion of each dinner ticket purchased, monetary donations and silent auction proceeds will be used to support WSU mudslide recovery efforts,” Seymour wrote in an email. “(That includes) student service projects, additional student support and other expenses directly related to WSU participation in regional recovery efforts.”

Before WSU sent its interns out onto the field, Tolbert read through each of their applications. She said it was difficult to read the stories of students who, despite wanting to focus in school, felt compelled to help in any way they could. Some knew victims personally.

“I was emotionally touched,” Tolbert said.

Mike Gaffney, a co-director of both the recovery team and WSU’s Emergency Management department, said the interns have made a significant difference working with various members of the affected communities, from children to politicians.

“WSU as a whole made a commitment to work,” Gaffney said. “It’s a really powerful thing.”

The recovery team is working with other departments to improve agricultural efforts, broadband access and the local economy.

Gaffney said the team is actively recruiting students for a recovery mission that will take place during a three-day weekend with funds from the banquet.

Members of the WSU Extension, the university’s Division of Governmental Studies and Services and other community liaisons will take a bus to the site of the mudslide on Sept. 26 and return on Sept. 28.

The recovery mission will involve efforts for environmental restoration, youth development and engagement programs, community enhancement efforts, economic development, and communication and marketing projects.

The recovery team also expects to deploy more interns next summer. When WSU President Elson S. Floyd visited Darrington on Aug. 8, he promised two more years of assistance, Gaffney said.

Other speakers at the event will include Bob Drewel, a board member for the Puget Sound Economic Development District, the Washington Global Health Alliance and the Snohomish County Health Leadership Coalition; Richard Koenig, the associate dean and director of the WSU Extension; ASWSU Vice President LaKecia Farmer; WSU Provost Dan Bernardo; and Darrington Mayor Dan Rankin.

The banquet will take place from 5-9 p.m. in the CUB. Tickets cost $55 per person or $500 for a table of 10. More information and registration can be found at mudsliderecovery.wsu.edu.