Intramural sports offer break from classes

Eat, sleep, study, repeat – the routine gets old. Intramural sports provide a way for students break the cycle and get active.

“Intramural sports are a great way to socialize with friends, meet new people, find an escape from stressors of college life, and just get out and play all through sport,” said D.J. Mackie, a competitive sports and youth programs coordinator for University Recreation.

The intramural program has hosted between 180 and 200 teams during the last several seasons, Mackie said. Sports include basketball, flag football, soccer, racquetball, volleyball, soccer, softball, Cross Fit, badminton and tennis, among many others. Flag football is the most popular.

“Intramural sports provide an atmosphere for students to recreate and play with each other that can help them balance their lives between the high demands most students face with academic, social and financial responsibilities,” said Skyler Archibald, another UREC programs coordinator.

Students can join or form their own teams through UREC’s intramural sports department. Or, they can sign up as free agents to get picked up by teams in need of members.

WSU also hosts leagues for lesser known sports like “battleship,” which involves teams of four people in canoes who use buckets of water to sink opponents’ vessels. Students can contact the department if they’re interested in a sport that doesn’t already have an established league.

“(Intramurals) at WSU are a long-running tradition of more than 100 years,” programs director Joanne Greene said. “We offer different divisions in each league, so no matter how experienced or competitive you are in a sport, you can find a place to play and have fun.”

Competitive intramural teams play to win, while recreational teams play more for the enjoyment of the game than for the competition. Teams at both levels can advance to single-elimination play-offs.

Leisure teams are the most relaxed. They play for fun and are helpful for those who are learning a new sport. Rules are explained in a low-pressure environment. Playing experience is not required to join teams at any level.

The intramural sports department will use a new website to organize leagues in the fall. Archibald said after a brief adjustment period the new system will make it easier for people to organize and sign up for teams.