Campus living is what you make it

Northside residence hall, which opened to students at the start of the fall 2013 semester, as seen on July 28, 2014. The building is the newest residence hall on campus.

The transition from home to the residence halls is both exciting and challenging. A new environment, different community standards and abundant social opportunities can all enhance or detract from your purpose here at WSU – to grow as a person and earn your degree. In Residence Life, we have the following suggestions to help you in your transition.

Engage!

Research has shown that balancing both academic and social engagement will increase your chances of graduating. We suggest finding leadership opportunities in the halls with paid and volunteer positions, university clubs or ASWSU.

Balance those with visiting faculty during their posted office hours, finding research opportunities, or just attending one of the many enlightening programs that happen in your hall and on campus. Get the most out of your experience by getting involved.

Be open.

You will be meeting people and experiencing different things that might challenge your thinking. Diversity is a great thing and allows you to think about things from multiple perspectives. We suggest talking to a wide variety of people.

Challenge yourself by attending a program or doing an activity that you might have never thought you would do. Experience all the wonders WSU and Pullman have to offer, you will learn more about others and yourself!

Communicate.

If you are having an issue with your roommate or neighbor, talk to them. We ask you fill out a roommate agreement form to talk through some of the room expectations for a reason – it prevents a lot of surprises, and you will be developing a great life skill!

And if you are having an issue with someone, being respectful and talking about your concerns are the only ways to resolve the issue.

Ask for help.

You probably will get homesick, you might question your decision to come to WSU, and there is a possibility that you will cry on the phone begging to come home for good. You are not alone! This is a normal part of adjusting to a new environment. Finding and utilizing the right resources on campus will help you over that rough patch.

When you overcome it, and you will, there will be no stopping you from obtaining your degree. We suggest talking to your RA or RED of your building if you have any questions or need assistance as they can help or point you to the appropriate resource. Remember, we are here for you and want to do all that we can to help you succeed! Go Cougs!