Dean of students: Keep calm and ask for help

Greetings and welcome (back) to WSU! We are so glad you’re here and ready to start the school year. As the dean of students, my job is to help you make the most of your WSU experience. Before the semester really kicks off, here are a few tips for starting off right.

Don’t let things slide! Go to every single class (yes, every single class). If that first quiz doesn’t go well, talk to your faculty member right away. The sooner you take some action, the sooner you’ll be back on track. If you wait until you’re really in the hole, with late assignments and sub-par grades, there will be fewer options.

Similarly, if something is awry with your housing, student life, finances, personal life or anything else that affects your ability to succeed here at WSU, get help! There are tons of resources available to you, and you’ve already paid for them. You should definitely use them. If you don’t know what your resources are, talk to your RA, sponsor, ASWSU representative or academic adviser, or come by and see us in the Dean of Student’s office. We’re in the French Administration Building, room 134 and welcome visitors between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Many of the most interesting things you’ll do while here at WSU are part of the Dean of Students’ area. Volunteer through the Center for Civic Engagement, attend an ALLY training through the Gender Identity/Expression Sexual Orientation Resource Center (GIESORC), borrow a book from the Women’s Resource Center and read the (award-winning) Daily Evergreen every day.

Definitely, you should consider joining a club or attending a leadership training hosted by Student Involvement. Maybe you’re interested in joining a social Greek letter organization with the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life. You need to know the Standards of Conduct for Students, so download the Guidebook app from Student Standards and Accountability.

Plan to attend a program hosted by Residence Life, like the Tunnel of Oppression, become more financially savvy with resources from the Cougar Money Management Program, and support Cougs with disabilities through the peer mentor program at the Access Center. Whatever way you choose, connect with WSU and the fantastic faculty, staff and your fellow students here.

The one thing I wish I had done when I was in college is ask for help sooner than I did. I flunked out my first semester of college – and why? I was uninformed, embarrassed and stuck. If you care to hear more about how badly I messed up, and how you can avoid my mistakes, I’ll be presenting on Aug. 20 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in CUB L60 and on Aug. 21 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in CUB 70F.

If you’re in a complicated mess and don’t know how to get untangled, come by and see us. If you are struggling to find your spot at WSU, talk to your RA, sponsor, ASWSU representative or academic adviser, or come by and see us. We’re here to help.

Take care of each other, and go Cougs!