RSOs bring students together

Students can get information on how to join registered student organizations or start their own in room 331 of the Compton Union Building. 

There are more than 400 registered student organizations at WSU. From bonding over Nerf gun fights to hanging out with birds of prey, these clubs enable students to pursue their interests and make friends.

“(RSOs are) an opportunity for any student to gain experience in new things and leadership,” said Berto Cerrillo, the assistant director of Student Involvement.

Some RSOs, like the history and science clubs, revolve around academics while others, like the Board Game Club, are devoted strictly to fun.

“Another benefit of joining a club is that potential employers usually look for people who understand their role in an organization and how to make the whole better,” Cerrillo said.

Academic clubs enable students to explore disciplines outside of their majors.

“(Clubs are) a great way to meet new people who share those interests and have an opinion about what kinds of activities are offered on campus,” said Ashleigh Clark, the president of the Criminal Justice Club. “I love that I’ve been able to make such close friends in clubs and that I get to know my professors on an individual level.”

One of the largest clubs on campus is Humans vs. Zombies (HvZ), in which students form alliances as either humans or zombies and attack the opposing team using Nerf guns.

“The greatest benefit for working with this RSO was a chance to work on my leadership skills and to create something I thought was fun and bring it to the whole campus,” former HvZ president Matthew Johnson said.

Many clubs, in addition to their regularly scheduled meetings, hold various events throughout the school year. Each year during Dad’s Weekend, for instance, the Physics Club demonstrates gravity by dropping pumpkins from the roof of the Webster Physical Sciences Building.

Some multicultural clubs host dinners and other events where people from various backgrounds can meet and learn about one another. Other groups host charity fundraisers, and some do live demonstrations. Some, like the Raptor Handling Club, provide community service opportunities.

“Maintain an open mind (and) see opportunities you missed in past years,” Cerrillo said.

However, he said, joining too many clubs at once might become overwhelming.

Information on all of the university’s RSOs can be found on CougSync, and many of them have Facebook groups or pages as well.

Student Involvement will host an all-campus picnic on Aug. 22 at Mooberry Track, just after the convocation ceremony. Clubs will be present with tables and displays.

On Sept. 4 the department will host an event called CougSync Connect to help clubs recruit new members.