Celebrating UI student films at Kenworthy

Festival will award students’ work based on audience feedback

Attendess+buy+tickets+to+watch+movies+at+the+Palouse+French+Film+Festival+on+Oct.+3.+The+Kino+Short+Film+Festival+will+honor+students%E2%80%99+cinematic+efforts.+

KEISHA BROKAW | Daily Evergreen File

Attendess buy tickets to watch movies at the Palouse French Film Festival on Oct. 3. The Kino Short Film Festival will honor students’ cinematic efforts.

CHLOE GRUNDMEIER, Evergreen reporter

The Kino Short Film Festival, held at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, offers University of Idaho’s broadcasting and digital media production students a platform to share their work with the community.

The festival started in 2001 by former UI faculty member Hans Rosenwinkel. Over the semester, students in the Advanced Video Production class at UI write, direct and produce a short film in any genre.

The filmmakers face the audience and hear critiques and praises. Audience members can also provide anonymous feedback to the filmmakers on rating cards to help them learn as much as possible.

“This is a wonderful experience for the students,” the festival’s website states.

In 2016, the Kino Festival was opened to the public — residents of Idaho, Oregon, Montana and Washington — as well as UI students, so anyone in the area could participate in viewing.

After the films are shown, the audience’s ratings and comments are tallied, and the favorite student film and independent film receive the audience’s choice award.

Denise Bennett, the faculty member at UI in charge of the Kino Festival, said she believes this kind of event is important because it allows people to get together to do something they rarely do with others.

“We generally watch short films alone in our bedrooms on YouTube,” Bennett said. “It’s really unique to get to watch multiple short films in the same way you’d watch a feature length one.”

This year, many of the student-made films are under the drama genre, with several being thrillers and others action. These include “Snuff” by Alec Sullivan, “A Moment of Violence” by Cal Heinen and “A Tea Party” by Sergio Trejo.

For those who prefer something more lighthearted, a few comedies will be featured at the Kino Festival as well. They are “Out of Ink” by Thomas Troxel and “Oxy,” also by Alec Sullivan.

The 18th annual Kino Short Film Festival will take place at 7 p.m. tonight and at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre. Admission is free and the event is open to the public. Donations will support the Kenworthy Centre.

“Kino Fest serves as the finale in the class,” states the website, “and gives the student filmmakers a chance to share their work with a public audience.”