WSU seeks res hall move-in help

WSU is searching for volunteers to help thousands of incoming students move into the residence halls at the start of the fall semester.

“Last year, we had about 3,300 people move in during move-in weekend, which is about 60 percent of our residence hall population,” said Karen Metzner, the assistant director of WSU’s Department of Residence Life.

To manage the logistical difficulty that comes with the process, the Dean of Students’ office is coordinating a volunteer effort on Aug. 16 and Aug. 17.

The dean’s office is seeking at least 300 volunteers to help new and returning students check into the residence halls and carry belongings into the students’ rooms.

“Parents and students are normally thrilled to find out that there is move-in assistance,” Metzner said. “Coming to college can be a stressful time for both students and parents, so having additional help moving things is one less point of stress.”

In past years, the volunteers have included returning students, professors, university employees and Pullman residents.

“It really makes WSU feel like a family,” Assistant Dean of Students Melissa Morgan said. “Parents are usually very grateful for the help they get and surprised that this is a campus-wide effort.”

Ian Ortlieb, the manager of WSU Transportation Services, said WSU also coordinates with the Pullman Police Department to help control traffic and parking.

Those moving in will be able to park for free during the day in designated areas near each residence hall. There will also be drop-off locations where people can park to unload for a short amount of time.

“We will once again open the library garage for volunteer parking,” Ortlieb said. “The volunteers are such an integral component to the weekend, having a close location for them to park is one way in which we can thank them for all their hard work.”

Returning students who volunteer will be allowed to move into residence halls on Aug. 15, a day early. Each volunteer also will receive a free T-shirt. So far, about 150 have signed up.

More information and the registration form can be found here: bit.ly/WnoVjQ