Granite Point clean-up planned for tomorrow

WSU, U of I to take students to the popular party destination at 9 a.m. tomorrow

RYAN PUGH | Daily Evergreen File

Granite Point, also known as the cliffs, was closed following heavy usage that left behind large amounts of garbage.

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

WSU and the University of Idaho will host a group clean-up of Granite Point tomorrow following the closure of the nature area after a weekend of heavy usage left the popular party location littered with trash and graffiti.

The WSU Outdoor Recreation Center announced the clean-up on their Instagram and Facebook pages earlier today. Associated Students of Washington State University President Savannah Rogers also announced the event on her Twitter.

The WSU ORC said they have room to take 14 people out to Granite Point, or the cliffs as its known to students, while they encourage others to carpool. The group will leave from the ORC at 9 a.m. and plans to return to Pullman by 2 p.m.

“That’s a priority, of just going and cleaning it up,” Rogers said. “I think that it’s definitely disappointing in the way that happened. I think a lot of Cougs and U of I students and faculty and community members are disappointed with that.”

The United State Army Corp of Engineers said the area was left riddled with garbage, including broken bottles and beer cans following a day of heavy traffic at the end of April. People also spray painted on parts of the landmark.